Forum home Plants

Phormium

Chris1954Chris1954 Posts: 15

Hi,

I have a very large Phormium, which is now taking over my front garden and window. How do I cut it back or thin it out please.

.image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,078

You can divide them Chris, which rejuvenates them. It can be a bit daunting with a mature one, but a good sharp spade will do the job once you dig it out. You can then divide the plant up, pot up or use some of the pieces elsewhere, and just replant the best looking bit. If you do that, it may need a little support initially as the roots can be quite shallow and a windy day can dislodge plants quite easily till they get established again.

If you don't want to do that, you can cut old foliage back right in at the base. Slice off any old or damged leaves, or ones which you don't like the look of ! I do that on a regular basis with one or two of mine, just to keep them a suitable size for the space they're in. I have a pair of snips to do it whiwch I find better than secateurs. A good pair of scissors would also work well.

If you look into the middle of the plant, you'll see new shoots coming through all the time. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,853

You can dig it up and cut the root ball into sections with a large knife, or  slice off sections using a sharp spade.  Lots of muscle required.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Chris1954Chris1954 Posts: 15

Thank you both, looks like no rest for the wicked this weekend.

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003

Ohhh...........I don't envy you that job, I hope you have a good substantial pair of gloves!