Forum home› Plants

Plants for a low evergreen hedge

TomCranhamTomCranham Posts: 139

I'm wanting to plant a low (less than 50cm) hedge along the edge of a couple of borders. From experience does anyone have any suggestions on shrubs to use? I was thinking of Lonicera Nitida!

Thanks in advance

Tom

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,149

Lonicera nitida is a very good choice though it does like to grow taller so you will have to keep on top of the trimming. Euonymus varieties are good as is box though the latter can succumb to box blight. Ilex crenata is another possibility. If going for the lonicera nitida option, bear in mind the gorgeous Bagessen's Gold variety.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954

I'd agree with Ceres - the B's Gold variety is lovely, but it does grow quickly. I have some against my back fence and it provides a nice bright glow, but I do have to trim bits regularly. I also have one called Emerald Glow or May Green or something similar, which is more dense, and is a good strong colour as long as it gets a sunnier site.

The problem with any of those is keeping them looking good at a low height. They take quite a lot of trimming to achieve that, and they spread in all directions too. It's the reason box has been the long term favourite for low hedging.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• TomCranhamTomCranham Posts: 139

Thanks both of you for your replies. I'll have to give this some thought!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,954

Is the border quite wide Tom?  You don't want to be forever having to get in among your other plants to prune the hedge, unless you're planning on having a little pathway of some kind to make it easier.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• pbffpbff Posts: 433

How about thyme?

If you've got free-draining soil in sun it makes a fantastic hedge, especially the lemon variegated thyme.

Or Santolina?

Last edited: 08 July 2017 11:15:13

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,848

L nitida is a huge plant, you'd be forever reducing it. 

Some of the euonymus can be relied upon to be a bit smaller

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,854

If you're up for a challenge and the aspect is right you could consider step-over apples

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.