Forum home Plants

what is this plant?

treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

I've had this plant for several years, I thought it was a type of cactus seeing as it had tiny spines, this year it got left outside my conservatory in late May when I cleaned it and repainted it.

I forgot about it during the high temps and torrential rain that followed, I brought I back into the conservatory two weeks ago, I've just noticed it flowering.

the flower I remarkable thin (less than 1cm thick and 6-7 cm across and smells terrible (I'm assuming its pollinated by flies)

but it look nothing like any cactus flower I've ever seen.

anyone got any ideas what it is?

• Oooh, that's a good flower! Orbea Variegata, Star Flower, Stinky Feet plant.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/Plants/120546/Orbea-variegata/Details 

You're right about the fly pollination. 

I'd say I've got one, but whenever it gets stressed it chucks off stems and they are really easy to root, so I've actually got about ...five. They're good giveaways for kids as they're so freaky.

How exciting that it did well outside, I've only ever had them indoors! Maybe I should see how some of my spares do outside?

Last edited: 07 July 2017 13:12:12

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027

I think it is one of the Orbeyas, African carrion plant.

There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,780

Yes thepunkgardener and  Punkdoc (?!) - there was one on the Hampton Court Flower Show Episode 2 (15 mins in). 

My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

How interesting ... both our Punks knew the answer .......... what does this say about Punks, if anything? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,027

Personal hygiene?

There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • We like plants with spikes!!!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,286

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,053

Formerly called a Stapelia.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller