Forum home Plants

Is there more than one Rozanne

I love the RHS plant of the century the geranium rozanne.
I planted some a couple of years ago that are beautiful , flowering all summer like blue jewels and reaching about 2 feet in height and three to four feet in spread.

However, a more recent set that I have planted are still called Rozanne but act more like ground cover. They are not cheap either.

Unlike the others the new stems have a red tinge and are much lower,  9 inches at best .The flowers look the same.

Is there more than one variety  as I want the one with a bit of height?

Last edited: 07 July 2017 09:48:35

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,976

AFAIK there is only one Rozanne, it's a trademark name. It's a sterile clone so there should be no variation. Growing conditions may produce slightly different looking plants. Nurserymen sometimes mis-label plants or (unfortunately) occasionally misrepresent what they're selling.

• LoxleyLoxley NottinghamPosts: 4,976

There is a shorter geranium which is very similar - Geranium 'Azure Rush'. Maybe you were actually sold that one?

• Thanks for the advice 

I'll see if can work out how to send a picture 

• MarlorenaMarlorena East AngliaPosts: 7,120

Loosecanons, I'm wondering if what you have is the plant originally sold as Geranium 'Jolly Bee', that is perhaps still being propagated but no longer sold under that name,  a name which had to be withdrawn some years ago.  I have both this and 'Rozanne', and find they are not exactly the same plants, in fact 'Jolly Bee' starts a week earlier and finishes a week later, it also acts more as a spreading ground cover although not quite prostrate but almost, whereas 'Rozanne' is more upright and spreading.  Much like you describe.

Here is a quote from a nurseryman, I saved it for reference but can't remember where I got it from but it explains the situation that happened then, and how some of us find these two plants..

''Here's what Tony Avent (Plant Delights Nursery) had to say about it: 

One of the plants that we have extolled the virtues of is Geranium 'Rozanne'. Well, there has been an ongoing controversy with a look-a-like called Geranium 'Jolly Bee', which finally reached a conclusion. Geranium 'Rozanne' was patented in the US on February 25, 1999. Less than a year later, in January 18, 2000, a similar seedling from Holland's Marco Van Noort hit the market, named Geranium 'Jolly Bee'. All of us who had grown both varieties, agreed that they were extremely similar, but not exactly the same.

We chose to sell G. 'Rozanne'. Both varieties were issued a US patent, since Van Noort did not include Geranium 'Jolly Bee' as the closest similar variety on his patent application, which he was required to do by law. Blooms of Bressingham, which has the marketing rights to Geranium 'Rozanne' filed a patent infringement suit against Van Noort. The bitter dispute lasted over seven years, and Van Noort recently gave up after spending over 200,000 Euros.

DNA tests showed that the two varieties were indeed similar, but not the same. Heck, I could have told them that for far less money. Van Noort has agreed to stop sales of Geranium 'Jolly Bee' after July 1, 2010.''

Perhaps that answers your query?... I hope so..

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

My Rozanne was mislabelled as Roxanne image

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 11,006

I'm sure I read somewhere that Azure Blue is sport of Rozanne image

• wow, thanks for all the great replies.

These are the two varieties. The first is my lovely 'climber' labelled 'Rozanne'

The second is my most recent 'Rozanne' purchased early this year which I hoped would be more like the first one. Still very pretty.

Last edited: 07 July 2017 20:18:18

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

i bought rozanne 3 years ago and until this year it has always been flatter and more ground cover.  This year it is starting to get more height.  I put it down to being on light sandy soil so very light soil, lack of nutrients etc. 

So you manybe have different soil conditions where you have planted them ? Just a thought. I bought mine from Crocus so hope I wasn't sold the wrong thing.

• It could be the soil conditions .  Heavy clay everywhere.

Let's see what happens next year . 

Thank you