Forum home Problem solving

4 in 1 evergreen

• leesimon17leesimon17 Posts: 33

Thanks dove and Dave , I like gardening just need advice and guidance at times

I haven't noticed many birds eating the grass seed lately as there is a lot of grass seed on the lawn , do you think it has anything to do with the 4 in 1 evergree? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,833

There's so much natural bird food around at this time of year they're probably not interested in it Lee - they're hardly visiting the bird feeders either at the moment.

Reminds me of the old nursery rhyme about sowing seeds ... ""One for the rook, one for the crow, one to rot and one to grow."

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

I heard Alan titchmarsh say that lol

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,833

My father and grandfather were farmers ... they used to say it too image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Hi Dave I have seen a small amount of red shoots from the grass seed but you have to look very close as you said on your hands and knees but that must be promising 

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 935

Sounds promising Lee. Just keep it lightly watered. Leave those areas of the grass to reach about 4" / 10cm before cutting and when you do just trim off no more than the tips. At this time of the year - especially with the near drought conditions we've been experiencing - leave the length a little longer than you would in the spring. 

Ok Dave , Im hoping I see more red shoots but I will take your advice on board 

Dave when I put the seed down on Monday I over seeded what would you do if you think you have put too much seed down? 

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 935

You're over-thinking it Lee! I'd let nature run its course for a few weeks. Keep it watered, cut it high.