4 in 1 evergreen

• leesimon17leesimon17 Posts: 33

Thanks Dave will keep you updated 

imageimage

Dave that's a photo of what it looks like 

Last edited: 09 July 2017 16:56:42

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 31,063

I don't think there's too much to worry about there. Bit of rain and it'll be fine. As Dave and Dove have said, you've put some seed down and you've watered. You should see germination quite quickly, but it's not the end of the world if the seed doesn't take because of any residual weedkiller. It's easy to fix with a bit more soil/compost and fresh seed.

You're not the first and you won't be the last to use a bit too much of these products. I was a bit heavy handed with mine this year too, and normally it wouldn't matter, but we had the driest spring on record up here and it had a bit more of an effect than I would have liked! image

Regular cutting - taking only a little off at a time - will encourage the grass to fill out those bare spots too, as Dove said. Mine has recovered and ust needs a bit of seed sown in a couple of places. It's a good idea to broadcast a bit of seed over the entire lawn too, so that you don't have a few patches that look completely different.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Thanks every one for the great advice will keep you updated 

Hi all ,quick update , no sign of new seed growing yet this is the 4th day , soil is moist and now the sun is shining, will keep you posted , anymore advice of what I should do would be very appreciated 

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,034

I wouldn't expect germination within 4 days, more likely nearer 8 or 10 before you see the little red shoots appearing. Sit on your hands for a bit image

Thanks , I have overseeded im hoping even if residual weed killer is still present, I have given the seed a greater chance to germinate , what do you think?

• Dave HumbyDave Humby Posts: 1,034

I think time will tell Lee. Weedkiller works when being in contact with foliage rather than soil so I imagine you will be fine but it may delay or stunt the growth. We have a dog so I (semi) permanently grow sections of 'lawn' in a seed tray which I then use to replace the burnt patches from Dudley. Even in these 'ideal' conditions it still takes around 10 days for any signs of growth. It's quite hard to see and is normally in the form of red shoots. You'll have to get down on your hands and knees!

Obviously birds love seeds too, especially pigeons so I'm sure you will have lost some seeds.

Thanks Dave , will keep you updated 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 61,515
    leesimon17 says:

.... what do you think?

See original post

I think you should relax, pour yourself something long and cool and cultivate a little patience ... gardeners need a lot of it image

As has been said ... you've done all you can .... what you need now is time .............  this is my lawn last autumn after treating for moss and scarifying

This is the only photo I have of the same lawn this summer  but you can see from the shape of the beds that it's the same one .... green and lush ...  all I did was scatter some seed, water and wait.  

Really, I don't think you have any need to worry ... enjoy your garden.  image

P.S.  I try to leave the daisies ... we like them and so do the bees

Last edited: 13 July 2017 08:56:54

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh