Forum home Wildlife gardening

Blue Tits

NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,810

I placed a bird box 4 years ago facing South and saw birds inspect it and then not return

This Spring I moved it and now it faces NNW as opposed to South

I was told that the sun would burn the chicks if it faced South

I now have a family of cheeping Blue Tits to watch every day

Knowledge is Power !!

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,857

Wonderful.

A few weeks ago I was watching the tits going in and out of my neighbour's box - it's a full time, non-stop job they do. Didn't even see them take a tea break!

I can spend ages just staring into my little new w/l pond.
    I watched the newts breeding and laying eggs in the weed. Then lots of little wiggly baby newts, now the babies are about 3cm long and darting about all over the place.
    I can only see 1 pond skater, but a couple of days ago I saw there were masses of tiny baby pondskaters whizzing about on the surface, so Mrs pondskater must be in there too somewhere.
    Water boatmen and all sort of other creatures in there too darting around.
    I've just ordered an arbour to go next to the pond, so I can sit and watch in comfort :)

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,810

Pete8

What pleasure some humans get from watching our fellow beings

Its a shame that only a few of us stop to watch

I have just identified what baby newts look like and i have hundreds

There were 2 newts now there are 4 and a grumpy medium sized frog who was trying to get out.

There is a ramp so I hope he made it last evening

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003

Oh NewBoy.................you are so lucky, I would dearly love to bring birds into the garden, but my cats would have a field day.  Recently bought my dad a new bird-table, as his rotted and collapsed, it's wonderful sitting watching all the activity, and different varieties.  Due to the cats I only get magpies and starlings brave enough to dig for worms.  

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,857

It's a fascinating environment isn't it.
    Just a glance and you see nothing. Sit down and look for a minute or two and all sorts of bugs come into view.
    Just a few weeks ago the water looked less clear - it was clouds of daphnia. They're now mostly gone and there are bigger creatures.
    I've got no frogs or toads yet, but will be getting more logs to add to the pile in the hope of attracting them, and as the pond has only been filled since March it's still settling in.
    The newtlets are growing quickly- some are bigger and there are lots of tiny ones still emerging too 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

The blue tits have fledged 3 days ago so all is well !! image

I also have a cat waiting by the pond to catch the newts and/or the frog

I have POLITELY asked it to leave !!!!!  image

Mary370

I had birds and a shed under which the rat sat to eat up the left over bird seed at night and drink from my pond

I have had to get rid of the shed and the feeders and at last the rat !!

I have a bee hotel that I made which has 6 bamboo holes filled in with soil so new bees eventually

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 2,003

New boy. .......other forum members have bird tables and cats. ........I gather it's simply a case of putting the feeder, in my case, in the middle of the garden so the cats can't pounce from a hiding place 

Its not the cats eating the birds but Mr Rat running about on my lawn and on one occasion up on my conservatory roof just below my bedroom window !!

Thanks for the advice though