Forum home Tools and techniques

Greenhouse recommendations please

Hi fellow gardeners.  I am looking to by a greenhouse for my latest garden.  I have seen some 'good' deals with Simplicity  but this is a make I have never heard of. Has anyone bought one  or any suggestions as to best makes and time of year to buy?  Thanks in advance. 

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,904

I purchased an aluminium 10'x8' greenhouse by Crittall thirty-six years ago , has withstood storms and everything else thrown at it .

https://gardenerscorner.co.uk/threads/crittall-greenhouse.61267/  ; I think they're still a viable company , but this makes interesting reading .

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,777

I have a Rhino and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.  They are strong and include lots of things which you have to pay extra for on other makes.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Sarah 31Sarah 31 Posts: 56

Many thanks for suggestions, this will be my 5th greenhouse, think 8x6 is going to get bigger this time. 

• ShepsSheps Posts: 827

I have owned a Hercules Trafalgar for the last 9 days, I don't have that much experience when it comes to greenhouses as this is my first, but it is very well made and solid as a rock.

It's a 6ft x 10ft with high eaves as standard which makes a massive difference, no scouching down to avoid the auto vent openers, the extra cantilever braces, hanging basket rails, toughened glass, bar capping and low level threshold all come as standard.

I'd post a picture, but once again this function has gone Kaput image

So, here is a link to my newly started greenhouse thread, there is a picture near the bottom of the first page.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/sheps-greenhouse-thread/1000514.html

Looks very smart Sheps, first year in 30 years with no greenhouse for me, withdrawal symptoms kicking in here.  :-( 

• ShepsSheps Posts: 827

Thanks Sarah...good luck with whichever greenhouse you go for image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Yes, I have found a site selling them, as you say lots of extras. But looks sturdy and up to the job. Interesting to know the extras come in matching colours. Thanks . 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 3,753

Inherited 2 "Halls", alum frames, dont know how old  they are, Previous owners died, neighbours say they have been up many years. but doing fine.  Got one a couple of years ago, from "The Greenhouse People" after seeing them at Hampton Court, it was a special show deal, its green, extra vents at no extra cost, safety glass, and looks "nice".  Depends how much money you have, I would love a wooden or victorian one, but at Hampton Court a couple of weeks ago, they were between 3 and 15 grand, way out of my league Im afraid.

Hi Nanny Beach, low maintenance is always high on my priority list. I have seen the green ones on the greenhouse people site, when i am ready to buy, will probably go down that route. This is first year for 30 years had no greenhouse, so feeling the pain.