Forum home Plants

Rose advice

emmapynnemmapynn Posts: 65

Hi, I have  Madame Alfred climbing rose I bought last year. Whilst its very big its only had 4 flowers. I have NO idea what to do with it (2nd year gardening) please can I have an idiots guide for what to do with this rose ? Thank you so much 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,479

The main thing you want to do I'm afraid is to get the long shoots in a horizontal position. The way it's growing at the mo it will just keep heading skywards. Once you bend them stems down so that basically they're laying flat, the stem will then throw up flowering shoots along its length, and next year it will be covered in flowers.
    If your trellis are secure in the ground, you could tie some reasonably strong plastic coated wire between the adjacent trellis, then bend the shoots down and tie them in. Start at about 18" from the ground and have a training wire about every 18" and tie the shoots in.
    So you can leave some of the long ones to tie in later in the summer, but there are some lower down that can be bent and tied in now and you'll see the new flowering shoots appearing all along the stem in a few weeks.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I found a web page that gives a good example - it's the first picture as you scroll down
    It's the right way to train Madame Alfred Carrère  - I'd bend the shoots down further - the more horizontal, the more flowers - it's BIG rose

http://www.sunilpatel.co.uk/2015/08/a-fan-of-roses/

• emmapynnemmapynn Posts: 65

blimey that sounds really complicated ! Thank you I shall give it a go :-) 

It's quite easy once you get going. You'll be well rewarded next year.
    Good luck

• emmapynnemmapynn Posts: 65
    Pete8 says:

It's quite easy once you get going. You'll be well rewarded next year.
    Good luck

See original post

Once iv tied it in horizontally - what do i do with it the years after that ? I realise that might sound stupid but do I just keep tying in the new shoots ? And will I need to prune it ? Thank you again !!!  

Yes, you're right. Train the rose as I described above.
    Then it's keeping it under control.... Mme Alfred gets to be a very big rose and could cover an area 20ft x 20ft quite easily. So once you've got your stems horizontal, you can cut off the end to stop further lateral (sideways) growth.
    After a few years the stems you tied in will get old and tired and flower less, that's the time to cut them right out at the base of the rose and train a new shoot in to replace it. It'll be several years before you need to do that though. Then just prune it to keep the shape - you'll be hard-pushed to kill it.
    When you'r done tying shoots in, the rest of the stems that you don't need can be cut off right at the base.
    There's some useful info from the RHS here-

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=189