Forum home Problem solving

Tree/bush identification

Hi there was wondering if someone could please help me identify this bush/tree which is coming over the fence from one of my neighbour. the flowers come out in May and June and smell very nice, many thanksimageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,454

It's privet ... the same sort that's used in privet hedging ... I love the scent of the flowers ... it reminds me of holidays in Brittany where the hedgerows were full of flowering privet.

A really good plant for wildlife. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Privet 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Great thank you that's what I found online but when a lot of people said they didnt like the smell I thought I must have found the wrong plant. I can't see how anyone wouldn't like the smell I love it. See it growing on the walks down to the beachs around bournemouth as well

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,921

I love the smell of it,  It reminds me of when we lived in London and every house had it for a front hedge.

Don't see it so much down here but I've grown a hedge of it just to screen of the area of garden that  has become a bit of dumping ground. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,454

I think some people's sense of smell is different ... image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh