Forum home Wildlife gardening

Help/advice Blue Tit (Dicky)

Hello...

imagejust joined.. And first post!!

so actually.. I've no clue if I'm doing this right.. 

PLEASE HELP!!! 

Ok... So to cut a long long story short... 

I rescued a bluetit fledgling... Kept warm, safe and well fed for 4 days.. Then thought it was time to set him (Dicky) free!! 

With cats.. Magpies.. People and traffic.. I thought the tranquil field/woods would be best.. There is a corner always full of tits ... A beautiful warm Sunday, we took him there.. (It's where I walk my dog, not far from my house 5/10 min walk)

he sat for a minute on my finger.. Then off he went.. Flying beautifully.. Slightly sad... But delighted at the same time.. We went shopping etc...All the time my hubby was driving.. I was reading more a more.. 

Blue tits are resident.. Never go far from birth place.. Stay with family till winter... 

OMG... I KNEW ID MADE A MISTAKE!!!

nearly 5 hours later.. I told my hubby that I'd made a mistake and have to go back.. 

He said.. He's long gone.. 

But I had this feeling... 

Rushed back with my son.. Huge field... Woods.. Farm fields... 5 hours...

i whistled... He called back!! 

I knew it!!  I whistled and called back again and again.. Could hear him but couldn't  see him... 

Then.. Through the longest grass Dicky was literally running to me.. I bent down.. He got straight on my finger and came home.. 

my husband couldn't believe it.. 

But I knew... 

Anyway (sorry, I said to cut a long story short!!)

4 more days... Outside makeshift cage.. no touching and feeding less.. Cutting branches with catapillers on.. Playing garden bird songs constantly.. 

Released Dicky on day 8... He flew 3 houses down and came back... 3 houses up and came back... Only into the apple tree..  Fed him every few hours.. And watched in amazement as his instincts just kicked in.. 

Dicky spent his first night in the apple tree.. I slept with my windows wide open ... At 6.20am I flew out of bed after hearing him call... I whistled back.. As did he.. Fed him and off he went into the neighbours cherry tree.. Where he was definitely talking to other bluetits... Whistled before I walked my dog at 8am... He called back...

i came back an hour or so later... And I've not seen Dicky since... That was 2 weeks ago.. 

I whistle every day 20 times a day!! I think in the distance.. I may have heard him.. Or maybe I just want too and my ears are playing tricks on me.. 

The whole point was to release Dicky and for him to be free (despite reading in the wild.. a life span is 1.5 years.. In captivity 21 years is the oldest) 

i just want to know Dicky is ok...

so... Wonderful people of this wonderful group... 

Please... I need honesty... 

What do you think?

Thank you in advance xxx 

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

Hello Enchanting-lily, and welcome to the forum image

I'm no wildlife or bird expert, but there are many on this forum (they're probably tucked up on bed asleep by now).

You are asking for honesty, and I don't think that anyone can honestly tell you that your dicky is safe and well. Hopefully he is.

It's wonderful that you have a great interest, and much passion for your local wildlife.  

• Ahh Thank you Kitty 2... 

Its more  people's honest thought/opinion was rather than just comforting words!! i was hoping maybe someone knew a bit more about a bluetits routine than I do!! 

of course... It's anyone's guess really.. 

im a bit of a night owl.. Which is great until the alarm goes off every morning!! 

i will look forward to some more replies.. 

Lovong the group already!! 

Thank you and good night xxx 

• Kitty 2Kitty 2 ManchesterPosts: 5,150

I was giving my honest thoughts Enchanting-lily.  Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.  As I said...... "no expert".  Hope that others can give more advice in the morning. image

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 35,474

What an amazing story! Hello there Enchanting-lily and well done on successfully rearing Dicky. Once bluetits have fledged their parents feed them for a while but eventually they take off on their own to find their own 'patch' in which to set up residency. I, like Kitty, cannot honestly say he will be fine but knowing how bluetits live their lives I would hope he is now happy in a new home.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,128

I think you've given him the best chance possible ... Certainly better than had you not taken him 'under your wing' image  

Now he has as good a chance of survival as the rest of the bluetits fledglings out there ... You can't do better than that ... Well done image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,320

I agree with Dove. You couldn't have done any more to give him the best chance. Even one reared by his own family has no guarantees. You did well, did the right things. Let him go now because you will never know more.

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • Kitty 2 says:

I was giving my honest thoughts Enchanting-lily.  Just wanted to welcome you to the forum.  As I said...... "no expert".  Hope that others can give more advice in the morning. image

See original post

Oh yes... I know and thank you.. Sorry if that came across wrong!! I was falling asleep at my phone!! 

I just meant.. I don't think anyone can really know can they.. ?

i was hoping the majority would say he was ok.. Based on their opinion... And I wondered if anyone knew what 'resident' meant to Blue tit.. 

Ie... One garden... 3.. One road.. Or one town?

im very much hoping to see again xxx