Forum home Wildlife gardening

Pond shelf issues

Hi all

I have just installed a pre formed pond however the shelves are all sloping slightly down and any plants I put on them fall over. Ive tried shingle & stones under one side of the pots to keep them upright but nothing so far has worked. Has anyone got any ideas on how to fix this ?

• Tracey KTracey K Posts: 46

Hello - have you got plants growing round the sides that over hang? For any near the edge I'm wondering if you could thread some string through the basket and anchor it to a bamboo stake or something. Depends on how well you could disguise it.

T

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850

I've got a pre-formed pond too. Fortunately the planting shelves are not too bad, but where they're not, I've used engineering bricks (the ones with 3 holes in them) to build a pillar from the bottom of the pond. Not ideal, but at least it works and the bricks won't affect the water

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,916

Some wedges of wood on the edge will straighten pots up on a shelf. Make sure they're big enough so that they aren't easily dislodged.

The advantage of using a liner, rather than the preformed ponds, is that you can make the shelves a better size, and also give them a lip, or slope them backwards. You'd think manufactureres would understand that too!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks all - Ive got nothing overhangin yet as I still have to plant out around the outside (job for today!) I used a pre form pond for my first attempt assuming it would be level but it was not to be ive tried bricks but due to the plants being fairly tall they seem to topple in the wind but the string idea has given me a thought that i might be able to put 2 tent peg in outside the pond and tie string to them and aroung the stems to keep them upright !

• Tracey KTracey K Posts: 46

I use a bamboo stick and string to anchor my barley straw bundle, to keep it down the deep end. Without it - it "swims" to the beach constantly. Good luck!