Forum home Plants

New Garden

HandyLHandyL Posts: 49

Hi all, 

We are moving house in two weeks, its been a right nightmare digging up the previous garden but I have done it Wahoo! image

Above is the picture of the new house garden, (fences have been painted don't panic) image!

I have recently brought a Clematis Ruben to cover the brick wall as you can see in the picture. 

Can anyone give me some ideas and thoughts/tips into planting this clematis and the best way to care for it?

Shall I plant it in the middle of the wall and spread each way or shall I opt for planting either left or right and spreading that way? 

Any help would be great! I am sure that I will be asking a lot more questions over the next few weeks as the path/border of grass on the left hand side of the picture will be getting dug up and turned into a border.

Thanks in advance. 

L.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,110

Montanas are vigorous plants and it'll cover both sides of the wall in no time.
    The plant will always stretch toward light, so where you plant it depends on the aspect of you garden.
    If the sun is always to the right of the wall, plant the clematis a bit more toward the left side, or vice versa, if you get the idea. It'll look more symmetrical in the middle, but you'll have to keep on top of training it.
    You'll need to provide it with something to climb on to as well like trellis or straining wire and bolts and you'll need to train it (tie shoots in), at least initially to get it to grow as you want.

When planting dig a good size hole and add some blood, fish bone and some compost if possible.
    Plant the clematis at least 18" - 24" in front of the wall angling the plant toward the wall, or it'll go thirsty.
    Also plant it deep - so that the first 4-6" of the plant is under the soil - if you're unlucky enough to get wilt, it'll likely re-sprout from the shoots below the surface.
    Water it often in the first season

And best of luck to you and your clematis :)

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • pbffpbff Posts: 433

It looks like the grass goes right up to the wall on the photo. Make sure that the planting area is clear of grass so that the Clematis won't have competition.

Plant it about a foot away from the base of the wall so that it isn't planted in the rain shadow provided by the wall.

Plant with the crown 5-8 inches below the soil surface to encourage the production of new shoots and mulch around the base with pebbles or similar to keep the roots cool and moist. Clematis like their heads in the sun and their feet in the shade.

Provide some support for the Clematis by attaching trellis to the wall, or a series of wires.

Personally, I'd probably plant it in the centre of the wall as Clematis montana get quite large.

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • pbffpbff Posts: 433

Snap, Pete!

🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌🐌
  • HandyLHandyL Posts: 49

Perfect thank you! Great idea about the pebbles around the  didn't think of that one! 

Yeah I will be cutting in a border along the back wall and planting other herbacous plants in there also :)!

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,110

Great minds pbff image

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.