Forum home Problem solving

Weed identification please

imageCan anyone identify this rotten little weed, please. It seems to reseed itself year after year, and even though I pull them up as soon as I see them, some escape and come back next time. It seems to be an annual, and spreads low over the ground if you let it. I'm not expecting a solution, but to know its name would be a start.  Thx everyone.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,766

Are the stems slightly hairy? If so then it has the look of a Poppy (Papaver dubium). Thought I knew my weeds, but not sure on this one.

• TWOTWO Posts: 4

Hello Berghill

No, not a poppy - it just spreads laterally at no more than  1" above ground level and is an utter pest.  Thx for trying though.

• It's a strange one this image

What colour flowers does it have and what shape are they?  As Berghill mentioned, are the stems or leaves hairy?

An early attempt at an ID is a Bucks-horn Plantain seedling.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,560

Do you ever see any flowers, like yellow ones? It's a long shot, but it could be Tribulus Terrestris, the goats head or puncture vine. 

Hello Borderline and Dave Hedgehog

Thx for that. I have looked up pictures of Tribulus Terrestris and, although I can see why you suggested it, it is not the same. The flowers on my weed are very small and just like little clumps along the stem. Off white if anything. The leaves aren't hairyat all. I have also looked up pictures of Bucks-horn Plantain - I have that too in the lawn, but again it's not the one in my veggie beds.

Many thanks.

TWO

• B3B3 Posts: 19,966

Hairy bittercress? I've seen it growing in a bucket of water and a pile of dry sand.. easy to pull out. Don't let it seed.

In London. Keen but lazy.

Ah, B3, nearly but not quite. My leaves are smaller and fernier than bittercress, which also has a definite white flower rather than the off-white nodules which pass for flowers on my weed. I have a few bittercress and side by side they are quite different.

Thx though.

• B3B3 Posts: 19,966

Close but no cigarimage

In London. Keen but lazy.