Forum home Plants

Wildflower ID

M FentM Fent Posts: 166

Does anyone know the name of this flower I spotted along a lane near us?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I find it difficult to ID a flower like that. I like to see them growing, to see the leaves, the height and where it's growing

• M FentM Fent Posts: 166

imageimage

Try again nut... hopefully can make them out. Very few of them, about 2ft high growing in some long grass...

Perhaps be easier when they are in flower? ?

It looks rather like Valeriana officinalis but 2 foot is a bit short for that

Young plant? First time ive seen it to be honest. The leaves do look like the plant you say when i google it. I will check on the flowers in a few days to see whether they are scented?

The scent from V. officinalis is lovely. I always think it's nicer if you don't stand too close. Might they have been cut earlier and having a second try at flowering? that would account for the lack of height and the lateness. Mine are over.

Quite possibly, maybe rabbits have had a chew! We are in Derbyshire above 1000ft; would this affec? Short season? It's nice to find new plants growing you havent seen before and hearing their name is a bonus ?

A different world from the Fens image

• ButtercupdaysButtercupdays Posts: 3,121

I'm just over the border in Cheshire, also over 1000ft and mine has only come into flower in the last week. I moved mine in from my sheep field, it grows in just a few places round here.image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253

I'm sure you're right nut, it looks just like true valerian. My valerian officinalis plant is about 6ft tall but it was already 2ft when I bought it. Though this year, both my foxgloves and hollyhocks are shorter than normal, I think through it being a dry year?