Forum home Plants

plants not flowering

ROSEMARY78ROSEMARY78 Posts: 12

I have a penstemon that has never flowered even though it has been in the ground for 2 years. I also have an acanthus with the same problem. Could anyone advise please?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,107

Are they in a sunny position in good fertile soil?
    Acanthus can take a couple of years to start flowering, but penstemon should  be flowering well now

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,992

Penstemon - What sort of situation is it in? I find mine do better in a sunny place. And how old is it?

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,904

Both these enjoy full sunshine (fools!!) ; I moved my Acanthus three-years ago , it sulked for two-years but is now flowering again .

• ROSEMARY78ROSEMARY78 Posts: 12

Thank you for your replies The penstemon was in  a shady position but I moved it to my sunny border this year The plant is about three years old.The ancantus is a year old.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,158

Penstemons start flowering quite late. Some as late as August. They don't like heavy soil, so now that you have moved it to a sunnier area, provided the soil is free draining, it should flower.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,107

You may need to wait another year for your acanthus.
    I had 1 that just threw up leaves for a couple of years. Then it got the flowers, but then it got absolutely huge! and self-sown seeds germinating all around.
    An impressive plant, but it got too big for me and by mid summer was usually covered in mildew.
    It went to the great compost bin in the sky (or at the end of my garden)

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,845

My acanthus only grew green leaves for 2 years, then flowered last year and this year, it only receives morning sun.