Potato crop problem's

This is my first post on this forum .

The problem i have is that in the last 2 week's we have had some very high wind's and sever wind's this has completely ruined my Care potato's snapping all the stem's and laying them flat is there any way that i could salvage any of these plant's . 

My other spud's (pentland  javelin ) have stood up to this battering well .

My question is if the Cara's have to be lifted what seed's could i plant in that bed to replace them and what preparation should i do to help the seed's along ? .

Hope someone could give me advice as i am a first year veg gardener i am stuck for idea's ? .

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,084

You could just maybe get some Dwarf Green Beans and Peas in if the weather is good enough for them to germinate.  Best done in cells and then transplant.  Another month or 6 weeks and you could start some Spring Greens. August/September for Garlic.

Plenty of salad leaves you could sow now as well as Beetroot, Carrot, Radish etc. Sown in progression from Spring onwards is most rewarding.

Depends on what you like to eat reallyimage

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,771

Best to lift the broken off ones - they won't grow bigger once the tops are gone and as long as they are in the ground they may be eaten by slugs or other pests. Plenty of baby new potatoes at yours this summer image

I usually dig over the ground when I've lifted potatoes very carefully to make sure there are no little micro-spuds left (always miss a few but it's worth trying to get them all as they will start to grow next year - 'volunteer' potatoes - and can harbour blight some years). If you added manure or compost before you planted your potatoes then there's probably no need to add more, but if you have some compost around, a thin layer dug in will help boost the fertility. Then I usually sow either chard or oriental greens like pak choi, mizuna or mibuna. You could also sow bulb fennel now or late carrots ('nantes' type grow fast and will crop in the autumn) - anything that grows reasonably fast, so it's well advanced before the end of September when the weather may start to deteriorate and the light goes. Most of the above will then 'stand' well into autumn, until we get a hard frost (depends where you are for when that might be).

If you are following a normal crop rotation and you don't have too much trouble with birds or mice, you could grow salads  - lettuce, radish, spinach - now which will be eaten in a couple of months and then add a thick layer of compost and sow autumn sowing broad beans or peas in October/November.

You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away and know when to run
  • Pete FPete F Posts: 8

Thank's very much for the advice .

I have some carrot radish and beetroot seed so i will give them a go and see how they do .

This now will seem a daft question but how easy are oriental green's and garlic to grow ? .

The baby new potato's tasted great we had enough for ourselves our neighbour's for a couple of meal's . 

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,771

Oriental greens are generally very easy. Pigeons pull the seedlings out but other than that I find them one of the easier things to grow.

Garlic isn't difficult either, but you need to move it year to year to avoid white rot, and it can be fussy about too wet or too dry or too cold over winter, so some years the crop may be small or the cloves may not separate properly. I'm sure careful husbandry would improve these things but I tend to just plant it and hope for the best. This year it's done well image, last year it was OK but the bulbs were fairly small, previous year was a bumper crop

You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away and know when to run