Cut through power cable on hedge trimmer

Hi

I have just cut through power cable of my Flymo Easicut 450 hedge trimmer. Where can I take it to get a new cord fit and would any of you have an idea of what it should cost me.

Thanks guys

lisa

• Andy LeedsAndy Leeds Posts: 512

Well, I did the same thing and fixed it myself with attaching a terminal block and wrapping lots of electrical tape around.

Not suggesting you do this if you aren't comfortable doing it, but it didn't cost me a penny as I had a few lying around (they cost pence to buy anyway).

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,514

You could fix it yourself with one of these-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Greenbrook-Weatherproof-Waterproof-Cable-Connector/dp/B000S5N2AC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498744487&sr=8-1&keywords=waterproof+mains+cable+connector

But may not be practical depending where you made the cut.
    They're easy to connect  - I've got several in use image

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Defo don't want to do it myself, knowing my luck it would explode

• IamweedyIamweedy Cheshire East. Posts: 1,331

Been there done that . How close to the top of  the trimmer did you cut it? I  have previously just attached a  male /female cable adaptor to join the two ends of the severed cable.

If there is not enough room for the  cable between the trimmer and the cable it can make it a lot more difficult to manouver the trimmer and you may need to replace the whole cable inside  the trimmer itself. which is more complicated. 

Do use a current protection device . I do know how to correctly wire a plug.  I should probably add consult a qualified electrician. 

No idea of the cost but our trimmer cable but ours is getting shorter each year.  image

'You must have some bread with it me duck!'

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Todmorden, West YorksPosts: 5,126

If you use Iamweedy's male/female connector, make sure you attach the female end to the cable attached to the plug, and the male end to the hedge trimmer.  Otherwise you can electrocute yourself on the male ends of the connector...  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • I have just ordered the cable connector, thanks for the link. The cut is half way down the wire so should be OK. I will give it ago tomorrow when connector gets delivered. Thanks guys

• Liriodendron says:

If you use Iamweedy's male/female connector, make sure you attach the female end to the cable attached to the plug, and the male end to the hedge trimmer.  Otherwise you can electrocute yourself on the male ends of the connector...  image

See original post

Thanks. I will read instructions very carefully, if in any doubt I won't connect it :)

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,102

Trouble now is that Bosch (maybe the only ones who do this) have included one screw on the machine which cannot be undone without a special tool;. So getting inside to replace the wires is very difficult.