Cordon tomato flowers stem

This is my first year growing vegetables and I did several research to try and get everything right and it's going well so far. Thank you to all the advise I've received on this forum.

I have now come across something I have no knowledge of with my indeterminate tomato plant, I have been taking out the suckers on all my 6 plants and they are doing well flowering and some have started fruiting. I noticed some of the flower stems have leaves growing at the tip. Is this normal? This leafy stems are getting bigger and making the plant bushier. Is there something I should have done or should be doing?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,005

Wait until later in the year!
    Tomatoes do everything they can to grow. You pinch out the side shoots, they'll grow side shoots elsewhere, on the ends of leaves or sometimes from the middle of a leaf.
    I've got the same on 2 of the plants I'm growing. Just cut or snap the leaf bit off leaving the truss.
    Later in the year they'll try growing 'side shoots' from all over the place, just cut them off

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

They can do that. Best cut them off as well like the sideshoots/suckers (after the fruit obviously).

• seyfadesseyfades Posts: 145

Thank you, I thought about cutting them off but thought it would affect the flowering truss. I will do this tonight. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,005

The tomatoes will still form fine on the truss. Just cut the leaf off after the last flowers. Sometimes an elblow forms and they can be snapped off, but safer to cut, and keep an eye out for others.
    I often find sneaky shoots coming up from below the soil too where I've planted them deeply.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • seyfadesseyfades Posts: 145

Thank you Pete, 

• stevecasteveca Posts: 3

Thanks for your advice.  Its good to know that IO made the right call