Forum home Plants

Dahlia Mystic Fantasy

I love this dahlia, fits in really well with my purple/orange colour scheme (especially the geum totally tangerine and geranium rozanne), but i can't find any for sale anywhere. 

Mine was bought at RHS Chatsworth but like an idiot I can't remember where from. Does anyone know where I could buy some more?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,283

You could over winter the tuber and take cuttings next year, doesn't help now but I doubt you'll buy one now anyway.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,283

£18.00 for a dahlia is a lot of money! 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• TomCranhamTomCranham Posts: 139

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm going to keep looking, and definitely overwinter the tuber somewhere frost free :)

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,035

Hi Tom - for some good colours you could grow Bishops Children from seed next year.
    They have hot colours and dark foliage. Mine are just coming into flower now from a March sowing and will soon be smothered in blooms
    Any you particularly like, save the tubers for the following year. About £2 a packet

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

That's a good idea, i am thinking of growing some from seed next spring. Would it possible to get seed from this plant?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,035

I don't know tbh Tom.
    If it's been hybridized (F1)  the seed wont come true - nothing to loose by trying..
    They're so easy to grow from seed and you'll get decent tubers by the end of the season to save for the following year. The dwarf varieties are also good, but I love the dark foliage and hot colours that you get from Bishops Children - the red in my photos doesn't do it justice

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

I saw that one Bob but their picture look like the flower is a semi-double (not sure if that is a right classification) and not like the pic i posted above... though the colour is similar. Not sure if i should try a plant or not hmmmm

• BobFlannigonBobFlannigon Posts: 619

I might be wrong but I don't think the same variety can have different variants like single and semi-double, it would become a new variety.  Perhaps it's just the picture if you definitely do have Mystic fantasy?