Forum home Plants

fennel tastes like chewing gum

flowerydelflowerydel Posts: 16

HI There,

I have inherited a plant that I thought was fennel.  Always loving this plant in my previous garden and eating the seeds as I weeded, I ate some off this plant yesterday.  Urgh, they tasted like chewing gum and the after taste would not go away.  Awful.

Anyone any ideas, as googling is baffling me.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,845

Can you post a photo

Fennel tastes like aniseed to me

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,544

Maybe dill?  Herb fennel looks the same but tastes different.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850

I know fennel readily cross-pollinates with something, maybe it's dill and you got a fendil plant

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 6,312
    Pete8 says:

I know fennel readily cross-pollinates with something, maybe it's dill and you got a fendil plant

See original post

Yes - most likely to be the cause if it is fennel

“Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first” 
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 13,012

Just a minor point, but do you think it was wise to eat something, when you weren't entirely sure what it was?

There are ashtrays of emulsion,
    for the fag ends of the aristocracy.
  • flowerydelflowerydel Posts: 16

imageHI, and thankyou all for your replys.

Sorry for the long delay in responding.  Not aiming to be rude or ignorant, just been unwell and unable to take photos.

Here is a pic.image

I truelly thought it was a fennel, which I grew and used in my last garden, that is why I ate some seeds.  Fennel does taste like aniseed, this did not, rather like  Wr1g1£Y chewing gum with a dreadful aftertaste.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,850

Just referring to punkdoc's msg above - you didn't fall unwell just after eating the seeds did you? ;) Hope you're now fully recovered 

From what you've said, and from what I vaguely remember, you've probably got a fennel/dill cross, which I don' think would taste too great.
    Best to go buy some new seed

Last edited: 15 July 2017 15:28:13

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • flowerydelflowerydel Posts: 16

No, Pete8, it was not after eating the seeds!!  rofl. well,  not immediately anyway!! I did not think of that.

Yes, I intend to buy new fennel plants when I finally have my garden transformed.