Forum home Fruit & veg

How often is "frequently"

ondiondi Posts: 7

I've just planted my first ever seeds (Lollo Rossa lettuce) and all the instructions I've read online say to water frequently. Question - just how often is frequently?!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

What a useless instruction, just don't let them dry out.  

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,107

Just water them at the roots and do it in the early morning or evening but only when they need it.  Planting them fairly close together will also help to stop them drying out.  You can just harvest the leaves of these initially if you want rather than cutting the whole plant straight away.

• ondiondi Posts: 7

Thanks guys. So in the early stages, do you think once every couple of days would work? It's not too hot at the moment.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,495

If yu've done them in trays it's better to stand the tray in a bigger tray of water and let it soak up what it needs and then remove and drain any excess.  If in the ground, you have to use your judgement so try feeling the soil next to your rows with your finger tips and if it's dry, water.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,997

Once they have started growing well, I hardly ever water lettuces, only when they are seeds/seedlings, and then every day, unless it rains,and never found any problems.