chrissieBchrissieB Posts: 772

Am a recent convert to thalictrums and have a couple of questions.

Should I deadhead them and is it worth it - I've read that they have lovely seedheads but wondering if I can get a couple of flushes of flowers in first?

have also read that they are slow to re-establish when divided - wondered what any one else's experience of this was plus has anyone tried any other ways of propagating them?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,043

I don't find thalictrums respond well to being messed about with. I only grow species so all will come true from seed and I let them seed

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 3,474

I only dead head thalictrums if I can see tiny buds which will produce more flowers. I only cut them back if they've been blown over by strong wind or if they start to look really untidy.

Like Nut - on the whole I tend to leave them to do their own thing and have found they self seed quite well. The seedlings don't mind being moved to a new spot in spring.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • BorderlineBorderline Posts: 1,299

Thalictrums always tend to flop over once they have finished flowering. I used to cut all the stems right down and leave the foliage. It's the foliage that is of interest and a great foil for other plants later on. I don't see any problems with dividing up. Best to do it next spring. 

• chrissieBchrissieB Posts: 772

Thanks all, think I will leave them alone and collect some seed at the end of the season.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,043

collect and sow when ripe chrissie, don't save it, needs cold rather than heat to germinate.

• chrissieBchrissieB Posts: 772

Thanks nutcutlet, I probably would have saved them for spring so that's good to know