Too close for comfort

The house martin nest was attacked by a sparrow hawk a few weeks ago - unsuccessfully, I'm pleased to say.

Today, I looked into the kitchen from the end of the garden, and there was a large bird, frantically trying to escape.  I went inside, expecting a pigeon/collar dove.  It was a sparrow hawk, that had obviously swooped for the house martins again or one of the birds on the feeder, and flown into the kitchen through the open door.

Now, they are very handsome birds indeed - but the wicked talons and sharp beak do not warrant too much human interference, so OH was called for (well, shouted for tbh) and between us we managed to open the kitchen window and encourage the bird to escape.  Job done.  Not.

OH returned upstairs, this time to call for my assistance.  A juvenile goldfinch was trapped in the office.  We can only assume that it flew through the kitchen door and escaped the sparrow hawk by flying upstairs.  At least it didn't have razor-sharp talons, and gradually, despite its distress, we managed to get it to fly out through and open window.

Now that's nature up close and personal. 

And after it was all over, OH suggested that it was remiss of me not to have grabbed the camera to take a photo!

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,579

I REMEMBER THE TIME A THRUSH GOT INTO THE HOUSE. IT FLEW THROUGH THE BACK DOOR AND INTO THE KITCHEN, INTO THE HALL, INTO THE LIVING ROOM,  BACK INTO THE HALL, INTO THE DINING ROOM, BACK INTO THE HALL AND OUT THROUGH THE KITCHEN DOOR.

WE WERE CLEANING THE SH*T OUT OF THE HOUSE FOR WEEKS.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,648

Years ago (1980's) , my parents regularly had a mature swan enter through the french-doors from the adjacent fishing lake ; walk through to the backyard and stand there waiting to be fed .

• A very interesting thread! Birds are such amazing creatures with sometimes crazy, funny and unique personalities. It's great to see other peoples encounters.

A relative had a very friendly Robin, that for years, used to hop into her kitchen to peck up crumbs and treats left for it.

One day it ventured into the larder and was (very regrettably) killed by a mouse trap image

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,450

We have a pair of swallows determined to nest in the garage. Which might be OK except they keep flying out the wrong door and ending up in the kitchen. I've had to scoop one out four times already this year. We also routinely get robins and sparrows in the kitchen. As Pansy says, the clean up can be tedious 

You just want somebody listening to what you say 
    It doesn't matter who you are