GW 22nd June 2017

13»

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,494

Met too.  Watched it late last night and he never mentioned surprise at being able to grow anything, just how clever the design was and the planting and the use of colour and landscape borrowing  and how it was a great way to manage a long thin garden which many terraced houses have, whether grand or small.

I thought he explained the design principles very well and was enthusiastic about it all.

Loved the West Dean bit.  I shall make OH watch that part so he can see what can be done in 5 years and then we can calm down and do one project well at a time.  He gets bored and heads off to do a bit here and a bit there and he's the one that has to do the heavy lifting before I can plant anything.

Did not understand Monty planting a tree fern given that in a normal winter his garden is cold and gets flooded.   Don't see the attraction myself as it seems to me the foliage is practically identical to native ferns that can cope without coddling.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,951
    Obelixx says:

Did not understand Monty planting a tree fern given that in a normal winter his garden is cold and gets flooded.   Don't see the attraction myself as it seems to me the foliage is practically identical to native ferns that can cope without coddling.

See original post

Because us gardeners are a strange breed in that we all want to try something new despite knowing full well that our conditions won't cope with it. I live in central Scotland so don't have the warmer and wet conditions of the west. I have tried loads of plants which have turned their toes up at their first Scottish winter, even the mild winters , but that's not to say that I have learned lessons. Oh no, if I see a plant which rocks my boat, I will buy it regardless!

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,494

I was like that when I started planting my Belgian garden but soon learned I was hemorrhaging money on frost fodder so went for good do-ers and had an altogether healthier and more abundant display of plants thru the seasons.   Too many to coddle. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 10,731

That Adam cove sounds like a prxtt. 

I shall have to watch the programme because my garden has things growing in it - even stuff that I planted! 

Steps back in amazementimage

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 3,706
    Obelixx says:

See original post

Monty has the time and space to be able to lift many delicate plants in the autumn and store them in frost free environment over winter.  Many of us don't have that luxury.  Personally, I like to be able to put a plant in the ground and have it continue to thrive on neglect image (Just joking, but only just).  I really don't want to worry about lifting and storing, then replanting each year.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 3,247

I want to add that Monty has consistently created unrealistic demands for many gardeners by normalising moves around the garden at the most delicate periods in the year, so seeing him lift and plonk things in is standard nowadays. I understand a program needs to show some kind of planting and moves around the year, but some of them are just wrong. 

Adam Frost is what Gardeners' World needs. He is knowledgable in his field and he has a great eye for design. Going to that narrow garden was just a chance for him to highlight appreciation to someone able to resist planting everything in because it's a long garden. The pond in the end part of the garden was perfect because it reflected the garden mood and the tall house. It's true that in the past, Gardeners' World has neglected smaller gardens and even small balconies/terraces, but these new one hour slots are trying to address that.