Forum home Wildlife gardening

One of our hedgehogs

I noticed that one of our hedgehog visitors had a really bad limp.  Further inspection found that it was completely dragging one of its back legs.

Nadia from the Forth Hedgehog Hospital was able to take him so hopefully he will receive all the help he needs to make a full recovery. He was booked in to see the vet today so hopefully good news will come my way tomorrow.

I am hoping that if he makes a full recovery he can be released back into my garden. 

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

I'm sure they'll be able to fix him - it's a good job that you noticed early on before further complications could set in. Before I knew the ins & outs of hogs, my first call was the vets when one of our visitors was limping, unfortunately here they are only interested in money & put him straight to sleep. If I'd have known, I would of gone straight to the rescues who have the resources and contacts of wildlife invested vets. It's a common injury & can normally be resolved, the cause is very often chicken wire fencing where they entangle their legs and get stuck.. or even football nets etc. 

Last edited: 22 June 2017 20:57:09

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 5,542

Went out in garden about 9pm  to put food in feeding station while OH put up camera .As I was strolling around looking at plants,a snuffling in the undergrowth and there was "our" hedgehog ! We retreated to leave him/her in peace.

You grow so attached to them, it is always a worry but hopefully yours will be back soon AngieR image

• Actually Mark, vets treat injured wildlife for free if they are repairable. We had a hedgehog resident in my clinic for the whole winter as he recovered too late to put him back outside. I shudder to think just how much cat food he ate and how much he cost me. He was a charmer tho so I forgave him.

It's the same surgery that's hit the papers here frequently, you're right though providing it isn't out of hours or requiring a call out, if I'm correct? Well rest assured, you did a brill job. I know last winter most rescues were fuller than ever, Tiggywinkles had over 1k hogs! 

• Even our local emergency clinic will see them if they need it. 

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 345

Sad news, the wee guy didn't make it through amputation surgery. Too much blood lose. I'm pretty upset and am finding comfort in the fact that at least he's not going to suffer an awful death in the wild. 

• Sadly, often they are too unwell by the time people are able to find them. As you say, take comfort from the fact that he was spared an unpleasant end.

So sorry to hear that Angie, it's always difficult with small mammals. Rest assured knowing you did all you could & if it wasn't for wonderful people like yourself he would of had a much worse of a time.