Forum home Problem solving

What's going on with my basil

Been growing herbs for many years now, and always thought basils were the easiest. But this year, there's something going on with my basil. Looks like downy mildew, perhaps, but I don't even water my basil from above and, if anything, I'm underwatering it.

imageimageimageimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,505

It looks scorched.

Try taking it out of the sun in hot weather, and water in the morning.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • SepandSepand Posts: 3

Really? It hasn't even been that sunny here this spring. To be honest, I've never grown my herbs indoors, so not sure if the window makes a difference (I assume not). 

Doesn't the first picture (the back of the leaf) look like downy mildew?

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,881

Have a look with a magnifying glass at the back of one of the affected leaves, it may be bugs like thrips or spider mite.
    Doesn't look like downy mildew
    Most likely it's just not happy where it is. It wants to be back home in Thailand. Do you feed it with something now and then? 

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 19,502

Insect damage, does it have white fly? 

Also looks like Leaf Miner damage.

Last edited: 22 June 2017 23:26:56

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• SepandSepand Posts: 3

I looked and found some, but not a lot, of whatever these are: http://flypierce.com/sitebuilder/images/Garden_039-600x440.jpg

That was it. Couldn't find anything else. Anyways, the basil's gone now. Since it's so late into the season I had to buy another one that's already started. This time I went with a thai basil. Hope it survives, but doubtful, because I just noticed that my thyme's also having problems. Here are some pics with my cell phone. I might be able to get better pictures with my brother's camera, if that helps.

imageimageimage

And here's one of the pesky things on my thyme that was also on my basil:

Maybe I should just leave them outside as opposed to the window sill. Perhaps the rain will help? But I remember I've always had these green bugs on my herbs and none of my plants looked as bad as they do now.

Last edited: 29 June 2017 17:30:42