Forum home The potting shed

Help needed

Just thought I would ask people's views on im thinking of buying a hot tub quite expensive or do i buy a cheaper blow up spa thing any one got experience with either please .

I want it as an anniversary present for me and the wife cheers Lester 

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,107

No idea Lester but it's certainly a nice ideaimage

My only advice would be to look around, keep to your budget ( if you have one ) and consider how many years use you and OH would get out of it.  Cheapest isn't always best when all is said and done. Happy anniversary !!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,935

I know a couple of people with one. A neighbour has one in a shed, uses it often for his bad back. My brother has one in the backyard. It got used a lot the first summer, but not much since. The testing of water and adding chemicals can become a chore.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

The blow up ones are alright for a weekend if you haven't a free space to keep one on display all year round or simply only intend to use it three months a year, but they don't retain heat, don't look at nice, aren't as comfortable, and when you dismantle it in the winter you'll be cursing having to find somewhere to put it and then put off getting it back out in the summer because it's a faff.

I have a friend with a solid one who has, much to my envy, decided before now to power it up and sit there with a glass of cider while it snowed around him. His really helps his aches and broken bits so gets a lot of use. He built a very private area for it with trellis and in the winter has plastic panels that fix in to provide a bit nore protection from the elements. This means you can use it all year round. I don't think you'd be able to do that with a blow up one.

Happy anniversary!

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,871

The blow up ones will have to be deflated and stored somewhere frost free in winter, and you'll have the issue of how do you empty it.  Don't underestimate the weight of the thing when it's full either.  I'd give very serious thought to just how much you will actually use one after the initial novelty has worn off. 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,035

It'll use quite a bit of electricity too keeping all that water warm - not cheap to run

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

Thanks all of you for your advice trouble is im only more confused how ever i have a bad back wife has curvature of tbe spine she is a housekeeper and I am a gardener thats my thought. God bless have a lovely weekend and any one who wants an exclusive tour around our garden just let me know beautiful garden historical house all for just knowing me Lester 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,035

How about a really nice new bed Lester - one that would help with both your backs.
    Hope you're well and doggie too

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • bulkerbbulkerb Posts: 258

Thanks pete8 guess what i just bought a new superking bed with a 32cm deep mattress with a pillow top and its really great having tbis much bed space 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,970

How about a spa bath?? as an alternative. Year round use, no great power requirements, neat etc etc

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • Or  what about a subscription to the health spa or fitness club with a pool and/or spa. No shock electricity bills to pay, and someone to clean & clear up after you.... just a thought.