Forum home Fruit & veg

Best crop so far??

GrannybeeGrannybee Sunny South EnglandPosts: 218

I dug up  few of my first early potatoes thinking that we would have a lovely dinner with them. Ha! They were like marbles...!  The garlic however is huge - the size of my fist.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,158

Grew lettuce for the first time, had some fab iceberg lettuce. Currants and gooseberries are looking good too  

Everything seems to be doing well this year, although still early days...apart from the cherry trees...they had lots of blossom, then we had a frost and not one cherry on two trees now.. ?

• Stuart RStuart R Posts: 42

The best new variety I have grown this year is 'Winter Gem' , a baby gem/cos lettuce. From a sowing in September and another indoors in January, we have been eating delicious, large cos lettuces with solid hearts since mid December. Those sown in January are standing extremely well, not a single one has bolted yet.. unheard of in my experience. Well worth growing!

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,030

Cucumbers!
    Growing one for the 1st time in my g/house in a pot.
    It's already up to about 7ft and smothered in baby cue's, I've had about 15 in the last 10 days. Quite relieved there are none ready today so I can have a cue free day :)
    Lots of cavolo nero and about 20 lettuce all ready to bolt!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,915

garlic has been massive this year, onions are heading that way too, had a decent crop off my early peas and broad beans, lettuces coming out of my ears!

looks like its going to be a good year for courgettes, i'm hoping to harvest the first ones early next week! my soft fruits are fattening nicely (just need to beat the birds to them).

I've had to thin my apples twice - once to one apple per clump (about 2 weeks ago) and now reducing them again as the branches are touching the ground! they're already the size of tennis balls, so I think i'm going to have monstrous apples this year! tonnes of grapes as well so i'm going to have to thin them as well I think.

my parsnips and carrots have massive tops growing, dunno if that's a good or bad sign for the root size but i'm hoping that its good.

everything I've planted in the last two weeks has gone bonkers!

• Lots of strawberries and raspberries here, also plenty lettuce leaf, and loads of mange tout tomatoes growing well so fingers cross there. Hoping for a few potatoes in about a weeks time.

• chris 172chris 172 Posts: 403

imageimage

imageimage

Hi all

garden is just coming to life with plenty now being collected

Some pictures also loads of lettuce, rasps, cabbages, cauliflower, and favourite fresh rocket

Happy gardening

imageimage

imageimage

Hi Runnybeak

A fine bed of lettuce greens awaiting the plate.

I grow spring onions one way picked up from YouTube.

Plant seed in modules approx 12no in each cell, keep watered but not soaked and wait. Once they are up approx 3/4 weeks plant the clump module in soil and wait for the return.

I have planted two trays a month from April and have approx 100 bunches of spring onions on the go which will last all summer and yes they are really nice and tasty.

Really don't get much attention other than water so have a go see pictures

Happy gardening

Spinach and chard-

Turned into a delish Spanakopita-

Hi Runnybeak

You will get a return if you plant quickly now, however they might not get to big but they will be tasty

Happy gardening

Ps I will be starting some more leaves soon like mizuna spicy sald leaves and more rocket, which will be ready to have first cut in six weeks very fast grower but unbelievable in taste

I tried growing veg occasionally without netting - pointless - the pigeons take the lot within hours..
    Some if it went to seed but I didn't realise how much there was.
    I have got a few kale planted in the open and so far, they're ok
    I'm woken about 3:30am most mornings this time of year with pigeons cooing everywhere - that's the one bird I put in the same category as bluebottles