Forum home The potting shed

Some like it hot!

It's not often that we have such a long period of heat and my office is rather ill equipped to deal with it.  The building is Victorian and listed so air conditioning is non existant.

The thing that amazes me is the people who go on about how hot they are, like the girl who refused to take her cardigan off as she didn't want to show her upper arms!!  Or the other person who, on the hottest day of the year, chose to wear skin tight skinny jeans with a fitted button up blouse with long sleeves.

You've gotta laugh haven't you?  I just wear a big baggy t shirt and a loose linen skirt, we do not have a strict dress code thank goodness.

I am loving this weather by the way. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,756

I was shifting woodchip in my "nuddypants" today apart from sensible shoes, Woodchip and flip flops don't mix well.

Devon.
  • Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,454

Did anyone read the article about the guy who was sent home from work because he wore 'smart' shorts............he arrived back too the office wearing a dress!

I don't understand how women keep their make-up looking good in this weather, I would look like a grease ball.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,873
    Mary370 says:

Did anyone read the article about the guy who was sent home from work because he wore 'smart' shorts............he arrived back too the office wearing a dress!

I don't understand how women keep their make-up looking good in this weather, I would look like a grease ball.

See original post

When I worked for DWP (Dept for Work & Pensions) a guy was sent home for exactly the same thing.  We were a processing office, not public facing.  Management stated it was in the staff handbook that shorts weren't permitted.  When it was pointed out that leggings were also on the list of forbidden clothing, and that most of the women wore them, the response was "That's different" with no further explanation.  Yes, the Office Manager was a woman and she wore leggings.  It was actually taken up by the union and she finally backed down and permitted shorts to be worn.  This again was in an office with no aircon.