Forum home Plants

Help with rose please !

AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992

I know this is a long shot, but I bought this rose from a bargain shop for the sum of £1.

It was labelled as "Rosa Virgo", but something tells me it isn't,image

Canimageimage anyone advise as to what type of rose it might be ? It hasn't flowered yet, so I don't even know if they are white flowers !

Still, it was a bargain image

Many thanks

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,102

Whatever it is it looks jolly healthy image

The leaves look similar to a Rosa rugosa and the thorns on the stems are also similar to a rugosa ... let's wait and see what the blooms are like image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• AnniDAnniD South West UKPosts: 10,992

Will do Dove - I'll post another photo in due course. If it is a rugosa, how big (ie high) is it likely to get?

Hello Dove, here are a couple of photos - it is white anyway!

The buds have a pinkish tinge, and it has several buds in a cluster, hopefully you can see from the photos.

I'm worried that though it is lovely and healthy it might turn out to be a bit of a "thug" imageimageimageimage

Hi image

It does look like a Rosa rugosa ... usually used as a windbreak or hedging ... the blooms usually have a beautiful perfume and develop lovely hips in the autumn loved by wildlife, and the foliage is sort of 'ferny' in shape and a lovely. fresh green ... it will be a bit rampant for a 'normal' sized garden ... 

http://www.hedging.co.uk/acatalog/product_16931.html 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Thanks Dove, I had a feeling that might be the caseimage.

I think it'll be going to the charity shop with the other plants, but I do information sheets for the plants I give them, so I'll be sure to mention the possible size!

Thanks again for your help image

No probs image