Forum home Plants

Help Identifying small tree like plant with white flowers

annehtanneht Posts: 8

Hi everybody,

I bought this plant a couple of years ago. When I bought it it had flowers (a number of small white flowers like an inflorecense), however it hasn't flowered a single time since then. Can anyone help me figure out what plant this is and also how to get it to flower again.

• annehtanneht Posts: 8

Sorry, I'm trying to put up pictures but it doesn't seem to be working

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,511

Try reducing the size of the pics ... that usually works image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

image Ah that worked , thank you dovefromabove

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,511

No pics of the flowers?   image

Without them it's hard to narrow it down ........ 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 27,632

Plants need energy to produce flowers and those pots look very small.  Most potting composts only have food for 90 days so your tree may well just be hungry and maybe thirsty.   I would start by giving it a very good drink to help slip it out and then plant it in a bigger pot with fresh planting compost under and around the root ball.

Top dress with some slow release fertiliser every spring and make sure the compost is kept moist, but not sodden, especially in the growing season and give it an occasional boost of liquid tomato food in teh water between Feb and the end of June.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

@obelixx My garden is in a small balcony, so right now it won't be possible for me to move it to a bigger pot (this plant is in the biggest pot I have). I water the plant almost everyday and fertilize it regularly with both organic and inorganic fertilizer. Maybe I'll repot into the same pot with fresh compost.

@dovefromabove yeah sorry, I don't have pictures of the flower. Like I said it hasn't flowered in a couple of years. But I did manage to ID the plant. It's Clerodendrum schmidtii.

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,641

If this plant is Clerodendrum Schmidtii, it's not really hardy. In fact, it may need protection in the winter time in many parts of the UK. The main issue is, if you are growing this in the UK, the summers may not be hot enough for it to generate flowers for the winter time.

I live in India. So that shouldn't be a problem

• BorderlineBorderline Posts: 4,641

In that case, I had a look and researched a bit more about this plant since it is quite rare. I don't know what size the plant was when it was given to you, but I think it could benefit from a bit of pruning. Also, it doesn't like to have too much wet, and only needs watering when the surface of the soil is dried up. It is worth a try if you have fed it and waited three years! 

Thank you, I'll give it a shot.