A bush type sungold?

I love the flavor of sungold as a tomato, it's my favourite, but find growing cordon varieties a bit of a faff, does anyone know of a bush/indeterminate variety that tastes exactly the same? 

• Green MagpieGreen Magpie Posts: 802

I know what you mean. It does seem that the very best flavoured tomatoes tend to be cordon types. I adore Sungold and am growing a few as well as some bush tomatoes.

All I can suggest is that you try growing one or two as if they were bush varieties and see what happens. My daughter did this with some Gardeners' Delight (through ignorance and laziness rather than on purpose) and they cropped really well.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,280

Agree, just don't pinch out the sideshoots and sungold will grow as a bush.  I tried it (accidentally) on one last year.  It will need some support though due to the heavy cropping nature of this variety, or the 'branches' will flop to the ground.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,771

Or try 'latah'. The flavour of tomatoes can vary with soil and climate, so I suggest you keep trying a different bush tom every year alongside your bushy sungold (as suggested above) and see if you find one you like.

Sungold does invariably win taste tests though - it's a high standard to set image

You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away and know when to run
  • SkandiSkandi Northern DenmarkPosts: 660

I grew sungold as both bush and cordon last year, in growbags outside against a south facing wall, it was a bad cold wet summer here, but the plants still did well, the bushes produced a lot more than the cordon did. they were a little later, but carried on untill october when the frosts got them.