Birds get thirsty too!

We have a bird bath in the garden which in this really hot weather I fill up daily, from the water butt.  The birds love to come and drink, collared doves, crows, pidgeons etc, the smaller birds dont seem to come.

Its easy to forget that birds need moisture just like we do and I would like to ask that all folks out there put something in the garden that the larger birds can drink from.

• Mark56Mark56 Windsor, BerkshirePosts: 1,653

Agreed.. & a ground level shallow dish of fresh water for mammals too, the hedgehogs, foxes etc. 

Last edited: 20 June 2017 21:42:31

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,180

I have both as there is no water left in the birdbath after the starlings have had a go! Also the fox and hedgehog appreciate a drink of an evening.

• Anna33Anna33 Posts: 79

I'm clearly the neighbourhood softy, but I've got water on the ground in the garden, water for birds on top of a fence out of the reach of cats, water in a casserole dish for the seagulls on top of the shed roof (not least for the ones raising their brood on the houses opposite), and a bowl of water out the front, on the street - the sign may suggest it's for dogs, but is really for any passing foxes that may be strolling past.

It's only a small town garden, but it's been so hot I just wanted to give anything passing a chance!

Mind you, haven't had that many takers, but at least I know I've done my bit. And hopefully they've taken advantage whilst I've been out at work!

• herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 1,180

Good on you Anna33! You can never leave out too much water and in this weather I find it evaporates through the day.  I also wondered what was using my dishes so I left my video camera running and have had some lovely surprises. Do you leave water out all the time? If you do have visitors they get used to where it can be found, I get pesky parrots who make a real fuss if the bath is empty whatever the weather.

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,442

I use the tray of my dog cage to water my seedlings, the birds have been using it to drink and bathe in, I love watching them.  The cats don't seem too bothered by them doing it either which is making the experience all the more relaxing.

• raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 3,766

Our water comes from a spring which is usually overflowing in a steady meandering trickle down the lane. The swallows and martins use it as a source of building materials and the sparrows and finches bathe in it. As with many wildlife issues, not being tidy (i.e. not putting in a proper pipe for the water to take it into the ditch where it's supposed to go without making muddy puddles all along the drive) is a good solution. 

The swallows are very active this morning

You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em
    Know when to walk away and know when to run
  • LottolearnLottolearn Posts: 67

I leave lots of water out too at various levels. The most interesting one is the big dog bowl of water I leave mainly for the cats to drink from but a blackbird loves to come and have its daily bath there. Cats don't bother it and it's not bothered. Such a sweet sight. Water gets hot too so I need to keep changing it to keep it from being a hot bath!