Forum home Problem solving

Viburnums dying

I have a Viburnum Kilimanjaro and Viburnum bodnantense 'Dawn' both are looking very poorly

imageand getting worse. Anyone know what is wrong? They're both in pots one i've had18 months old and the other (Dawn) only 3 months

• Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,878

Both of these are fairly vigorous strong growing shrubs , not really suitable for pot-cultivation ; have they been too dry during this recent hot spell?

If you've space in your garden , try pruning out all the 'bad' growth , trim them up a bit and plant out . Plenty of water and periodic feeding should help .

Are there any signs of pest infestation ?

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,632

I've tagged myself into this thread because I have the same problem - new V. bodnantense 'Dawn' and V. Plicatum maresii.

At first I thought it was frost damage, then over-enthusiastic application of BFB or chicken pellets, then perhaps planting in 'over ripe' mushroom compost, then over or under watering - maybe a combination of all of the above. However, other new shrubs and perennials planted close by are generally doing well - although there was some leaf scorching to some - but none of these are affected as badly as the viburnums.

The symptoms on mine are essentially leaves browning at the the tip and then gradually spreading to the rest of the leaf which then goes brown and crisp and drops off.

Mine are in a new border - heavily enriched with spent mushroom compost.

Last edited: 20 June 2017 21:15:52

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Paul B3Paul B3 Posts: 2,878

Alternatively , there may be somthing useful on this :-

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/viburnum/brown-viburnum-leaves.htm

• Paul B3 says:

Both of these are fairly vigorous strong growing shrubs , not really suitable for pot-cultivation ; have they been too dry during this recent hot spell?

If you've space in your garden , try pruning out all the 'bad' growth , trim them up a bit and plant out . Plenty of water and periodic feeding should help .

Are there any signs of pest infestation ?

See original post

Thanks Paul, I have kept on top of watering, and had to keep them in pots awaiting my raised beds which were built last week. Want to plant them out but worried that if it's something contagious I could contaminate the new soil. As all of my plants are in pots I have had a weevil issue which I did a nematode drench for a few weeks ago but did find some vineweevil adults hiding behind some pots a few days ago. Couldn't see any white ones eating roots in the viburnum soil I checked though. 

• FranklyFJFranklyFJ Posts: 2

Id like to say I'm relieved to find someone else whose V. Bodnatense is wilting and dying but clearly that's not what we wish for! Mine's been a thriving happy shrub in a large pot for 5 months. The pot itself was shaded by other plants so roots not over baked and shrub had good partial shade. suddenly 3 weeks ago (mid June) it started to droop and now looks terrible. I've been 'on top' of the watering and one or two feeds but concluded it might have outgrown the pot. I cut a branch off to check for disease but it was green. Next stop from what I've read here a root check and larger pot. Planting out not really an option - I'm in rental property, soil in flower bed not v deep, fences prevent good light to bed outside of spring summer so pots facilitate better positioning.

For reference I was gifted the plant by a keen gardner who sources from reputable supplier in West Yorks, and who gave a second plant at same time to a friend who planted his in the ground. He too has had problems! same wilting but not sure what state it is in currently. he concluded he might have OVER watered...

Will post again in couple of weeks with before n after repotting! image

• My Viburnum's leaves have dried up and turned brown. looks as though it is dead.

2nd Viburnum in the space of 3 years that this has happened. This particular plant was a cutting I took from the original. Do you think whatever happened to the parent plant has transferred to its cutting?

• I am also having this same problem with a Viburnum Bodnantense Dawn. I've had in the ground that has done well until this summer (an admittedly hot summer in Seattle but we water daily).Leaves going brown on the tips and then spreading to the entire leave which curls and dies. It is happening all over the plant, not just on one specific branch.

I am concerned we might have Verticillum Wilt. I also have a maple (that we were told was a vine maple but I'm pretty sure it's a Japanese maple) that also appears to have the more "standard" verticillum wilt (one branch at a time with leaves that curl and die). We had this happen to another tree that we bought at the same time (also told it was a vine maple and it was not).

Along the same lines, we have a Stewertia that I love and also bought at the same time as the two "vine maples"...I am hoping it is resistant but I do not see it lists for susceptibility or resistance.

Any thoughts appreciated!!  I know if it is Verticillum we are sunk and not much to do (especially as our garden is very small). I replanted a crabapple where the first maple died as they are supposedly resistant.

• MarranMarran Posts: 114
    One of my "Dawn" viburnums is almost covered with (one branch left) brown and shrivelled leaves.  The die-back has been pretty quick.  Finding this thread, I'm wondering if your plants recovered or whether I should chop it down now.  It's about 7' tall, planted in a border ...  everything around it ok.  The other one I have is completely fine and flowering a little.  Thank you.