Forum home Wildlife gardening

Babies!

Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,038

My little pond is settling down and home to 1 male and 5 female newts. Every time I walk past he's 'at it' and there are bundles of eggs amongst the weeds.
I noticed some things whizzing around just now and they're baby newts - loads of them!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

love that. Poor male must be worn out image

• philippa smith2philippa smith2 Posts: 8,110

Congratulations Pete - just a day ( or 2 ? ) late for Father's Day imageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,847

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,038

Thanks all!
    I could spend all day watching the goings on in there.
    No frogs or toads that I'm aware of yet, but I'll be getting some logs for a pile soon

Here's the exhausted father (or is it one of his harem?)

Last edited: 20 June 2017 18:58:35

• Great photo Pete, i only ever see the adults if im 'tidying' the pond & catch them snoozing!

Im well pleased as ive spotted several very young newtlings, some with fully formed front & back legs, some still at nappy stage.

Its especially rewarding for me as i had a series of leaks in spring which im sure upset all potential frog activity while i tried to rectify the faults.

Thanks Alan. I never see them in my fish pond - the koi put them off I suppose. But I can see them laying in the silt on the bottom of the w/l pond and watch them slowly paddle up to the surface for a gulp of air, then drift back to the bottom maybe grabbing a bite of something passing on the way. The rest of the time they seem to be mating

Not a bad life - if you get that far

• Mary370Mary370 Limerick, Ireland Posts: 1,455

How exciting for you!  Being a city dweller, my first sighting of a newt was when my son, then 8 years old, brought one home from the 'swamp area' near our houses.  Never knew they existed here until then, he introduced me to a wide variety of creatures.

• AngieRAngieR Posts: 345

Great pics Pete.  I've never seen a newt and don't know how common they are up here.  Now I've got the pond I really ought to familiarise myself with the critters I'm likely to find in future.

Thanks Angie - it's fascinating watching stuff going on. Just sitting there for a few moments then all sorts of things come into view. I'm sure they'll come and visit, but they spend a lot of time out of water as well.