Laying Turf and Pest Contol

Afternoon

I am looking for some advice on laying a new lawn.

We have a small patch (3m x 5m) that I always assumed the neigbours dog's (Bitch) urine had killed off patches of our grass; eventually the patches almost filled the whole area and I started to think it could also be Chafer beetles.

I dug out of the the grass/moss and removed some of the poor dusty soil and have turned over about 4"deep and plan on mixing in GRO SURE Manure and Top soil then rolling out my turf (after flattening the soil out etc.) but wanted to ask if it is possible that the grass killer was perhaps Chafer Bettels rather then just the dog.

I have found some black pupa in the soil; are these Chafer?

Can I lay the turf and then treat or am I best treating 1st

Thanks in advance for any help

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,809

sounds like it could be crane fly larvae (leatherjackets)

best treat before you lay new turf.

Nemasys do nematodes to kill off leatherjackets (along with other nematodes for other species- vine weevil, slugs etc.) I've found them the nest 'natural' way to control bad species in my garden. simply water onto your lawn and the bugs get munched by the nematodes

Last edited: 20 June 2017 14:47:21

• del053del053 Posts: 2

Thanks for the response

Do you think they would have killed of the grass or a combination of the dog and them.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,809

could be a combination, leatherjackets (and things like chafer grubs) eat grass roots and with the weather being so dry recently (since October last year really) to could have seen off the grass,

dogs tend to have a spot in which they prefer to urinate so I can imagine a patch maybe a metre across dying due to that, but not multiple patches or patches bigger than that.