Sowing biennuals

Hi.  I'm a newbie to biennials and I like a process so, I wondered if anyone could advise me as to where they put their seeds to germimate and then where to grow the seedings up.   I did initially think to do it all outside as it is warm at the moment but I have a greenhouse and a cool, dark room so wondered how everyone else managed it.  They are all in my house at the moment as the wind blew the propagation covers off (!) but this is unmanageable in the longer term.  Thanks very much

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 2,914

are they perins or annuals?  I sowed some native purple foxgloves last October when I saved the seeds, overwintered in a cold frame, they never went near a greenhouse, they are ready to plant out now, but its so hot and dry.  I try to stop anything being too tender, did the same with lavender a couple of years back. Most seeds want light, I wouldnt  give them lids, either, my Husband made this cold frame from our old bathroom window last year (yup, we STILL had 2 wooden window frames) and a scaffold board for about a tenner, if you dont have a cold frame, I would just put them somewhere outside, maybe near the greenhouse, so you dont forget to water them (if need be)

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,052

just sow them somewhere shady outdoors.

• CarolineOCarolineO Posts: 5

Thanks both, they are for a cutting garden so I am not ready to plant them directly just yet so will just pop them somewhere shady outside....but maybe tomorrow so they don't all get washed away in the thunderstorms we are promised today!  Thanks again for the support