Forum home Problem solving

Is this the dreaded Vine Weevil?

Bright starBright star Wrea GreenPosts: 1,120

I have a lovely Annabelle Hydrangea ( Incrediball) which looks great on the outside but on closer inspection in the centre of the plant the leaves are being eaten by something.I can't see the culprit. Could someone confirm wether it is the dreaded beastie or am I totally wrong?

imageimage

Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,834

Vine weevil adults take semi-circular nibbles from the edges of the leaves. I would be looking for molluscs myself.

• JacquimJacquim Posts: 49

nope not the evil weevle they don't tend to go for my hydrangeas but unfortunately they love my Lilly flowers and leave chomp marks all around the edges. 

• John HardingJohn Harding Posts: 497

I'm thinking snails looking at those pics. Go out after dark with a torch and have a close look - you might even be able to hear them chomping away. Remedy? sink a bowl in the soil near the base of the plant and fill it with beer - very effective and not poisonous to hedgehogs. You will be amazed how many you catch if the hedgehogs don't get to them first...image

• OnopordumOnopordum Posts: 390

That level of damage looks pretty trivial - I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets substantially worse.