Growing succulents from seed (I think I've been diddled)

NotyalcaNotyalca Posts: 127

Okay so I was on eBay and I did the "wow 100 mixed succulent seeds for only 99p!!"     Would be a shame not to.

so they arrived - I planted them up and then left for just over a week to dog sit for my mum.. I asked my husband today to send me pictures of how the gardens coming along and my seeds on the windowsill.....

He sends me this picture of my so called succulents...... 

I'm looking at them like.... hmm... they dont look any succulent I've ever seen....  (even if they are small yet... I've googled, and Nothing even looks similar) 

Have i been deceived?? ????   Or do some come through looking like this.      I feel like I'm just growing weeds 

• FlowerNewbieFlowerNewbie Posts: 148

I've had the same as you, the majority were weeds I think, and I got a whole 1 cactus out of a succulent mix ? It took about 6 months to show it wasn't just a weed and eventually grew to a cactus

and now 9 months from that it looks like this... image

It was a green stub of a stem that I thought it wasn't going to turn into anything. All you can do is wait and see how they turn out. 

• NotyalcaNotyalca Posts: 127

I would be over the moon with just 1!   

Didnt really realise how long it would take - Ill have a proper look when i I get home.

• FlowerNewbieFlowerNewbie Posts: 148

yeah you need a lot of patience for succulents and cacti unfortunately, but hopefully you will get at least one too ? 

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,966

Just had a look on ebay and I saw 100 succulent seeds for 99p. The description says they are lithop seeds which should germinate as green blobs. Lithops are the stone like succulents. They bear no resemblance to the photo which shows echevarias and a couple of sedums.

Buyer beware indeed although it may be interesting to grow them on to see what you get. I do assume you planted them in clean compost ......... 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • I wonder how the seed is collected and cleaned to ensure just succulent seed is present. Slight issue with trade descriptions I think especially if as hogweed has said the compost was clean 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 5,014

You can buy seeds for blue strawberries on ebay too - despite the fact that there is no such thing - people still buy them and by the time the seed has germinated and you realize it';s just a pack of weeds it's too late to leave feedback.

Last edited: 19 June 2017 09:34:10

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • NotyalcaNotyalca Posts: 127

Yes the compost was clean. I microwaved it.. my house stunk. (Used to do this with my Substrate when I kept tarantulas too) 

It was a fresh bag of compost too.  Either it didn't kill everything or I got a few stray seeds In the packet. 

I'm going to leave it in the window to see what happens.. 

Hogweed - I actually went onto my eBay late last night to see if it said what they where in the description - They are the same you looked at the Lithop seeds!   

Hopefully ill get something out of it - at least they were only 99p 

I bought them along side a joke present for my husband too.  He loves chillies and there was a hilarious (and very awfully photoshopped) image of a chilli plant with chillies as long as a small child titled "Giant chillies". I sent him the link saying happy birthday. Hahah   Again only 99p

(Also I assure you that I don't buy everything off dodgy eBay shops ?) 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,262

They sell all sorts, multi coloured roses, thred colours on a buddliea bush. Clematis seeds which are nothing like.

usually they are from China.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,606

I think that swapping the family cow for a handful of beans is more reliable than buying seeds from many suppliers on Ebay.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,262

To be fair Dove, I buy all my seeds from eBay, you know how many I sow a year!  Absolutely everything here is grown from seeds. 

I don't buy from China,  though,  I use Premier Seeds or Just Seeds. Never been let down. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.