Forum home Wildlife gardening

Tiny frog (and salamander) pond.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been making videos and taking pictures. After that I spend a lot of hours editing it into a nice video. I think I succeeded.

Enjoy the video of my tiny frog pond! image

image <--- for some reason this picture does not show.

https://youtu.be/tfdvuXT44Xg

Last edited: 18 June 2017 13:10:08

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,460

Lovely video ... congratulations.

Didn't see any salamanders tho' ... I saw what looked like male and female smooth newts ... all that tail flickering is the male's courtship display image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks, I already thought the tail shaking was some act of manliness. image

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 6,104
    The Denying Dutchman says:

I already thought the tail shaking was some act of manliness. image

See original post

It is DD! :)

Great video.
    I spend ages watching the newts in my pond. There seems to be 1 male and 5 females - lucky boy! He's forever 'nudging' them and strutting his stuff. There are many patches of eggs amongst bits of blanketweed (which I'd love to hoik out! but wont)  - much more interesting than my fish pond

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • ForestedgeForestedge Posts: 3,650

What a busy little pond....lovely and well done.

Love the background music....Chopin??

• Thanks Pete and Forestedge!

Yesterday I counted 3 small newts. Seems that the newt I rescued out of the flowerpot in the front garden got busy. image I love watching them and the frogs too, there's always something going on in the tiny pond.

The 1st song is: FairyTale Waltz by Kevin MacLeod

The 2nd song: Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven (Don't know who performed it.)

• ForestedgeForestedge Posts: 3,650

Aha...of course...Moonlight Sonata.

Was watching my tiny pond last night and the teeniest little froglings were sitting on top of the weed.  One wonders how such tiny creatures survive.  

• Most don't, but that's life. If it was up to me we would have more frogs in this world, that would partly solve the mosquito problem in parts of the world and at night in my bedroom! image

Almost a frog. A very tiny one, from head to tail about a centimeter long. The tadpoles heads in my pool are larger than the tiny frog!

I noticed today that I still have a quite large tadpole in the pool which doesn't even has started growing rear legs yet. A bit late isn't it?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,460

Sometimes tadpoles overwinter as they are and don't turn into frogs until the following year. This depends on food supply and other factors. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks, I guess I have some more reading to do on frogs. image