Anybody know where to buy a flexible rubber plug for stoppering drainage holes in planters?

Hi

Does anybody know of a rubber plug that we could buy, to use to stopper the drainage holes in planters?

I have noticed that Scheurich supply an optional plug with their beautiful Wave planters. It is a red plastic bung that can be left on the base of the planter when not required, or can be used in the drainage hole. A great idea!

Which is what gave me the idea that maybe I could do this stoppering with some of our other planters that are automatically supplied with a drainage hole in the base.

We have some great blue ceramic planters that I would like to modify in this way.

It would have to be flexible, I suppose, to work with a variety of different brands of planter.

I had a look at B&Q etc., but to no avail.

Any idea where a generic plug/bung can be purchased?

Maybe there is a non-gardening product, that someone thinks might do the job.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 4,450

I have been known to use a cork from a wine bottle, thereby needing to empty it image although they seem more difficult to obtain these days,all screw tops!

• Grandma TGrandma T Posts: 29

I have used acrylic sealant to bung up the drainage holes in terracotta pots. They have remained water tight for some years now. 

Its the same sealant used for sealing shower trays or outside window frames. I have also used it to repair frost damaged pots again with great success. Good luck !

• ShepsSheps Posts: 828

That well known auction site will have loads of what you require, I bought some rubber bungs to block the drainage holes in a Alpine planter.

They come in various sizes and tapers, just measure the diameter of the hole you need to block and pick the size of bung that will fit.

• Sheps says:

That well known auction site will have loads of what you require, I bought some rubber bungs to block the drainage holes in a Alpine planter.

They come in various sizes and tapers, just measure the diameter of the hole you need to block and pick the size of bung that will fit.

See original post

• Hi all

Sheps says:

I bought some rubber bungs to block the drainage holes in a Alpine planter.

See original post

Great, Sheps! That's sort of what I was thinking.

But will this have to be done from the inside of the pot if it is a generic bung, & does not grip the drainage hole tightly? (As opposed to Scheurich's Wave planters whose stoppers/bungs are of course an exact fit for their own planter! See their image of the stopper at: http://www.scheurich.de/typo3temp/_processed_/csm_Seite_051_Lineo_Brown_Stopfen_3a9ff35394.jpg .)

But as I want to make the container water-tight, will a bung do the job sufficiently?! (One would hope so, but...!)

The plumbers merchants idea is good too, so maybe I'll have a look-see re what is available.

Otherwise I think I'll try Grandma T & Doghouse Riley's idea of an acrylic sealant. To make it water-tight. Again, do I place the sealant over the inside or outside of the planter? I assume the outside if the planter is already full - LOL! - but is it more effective on the inside if the planter's empty?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,525

Just wondering why you're sealing up the drainage holes if yours growing plants in the pots? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,924

Me to Dove.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,795

Maybe for a water feature? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,525
    debs64 says:

Maybe for a water feature? 

See original post

That had been my initial assumption ... and then the poster said

"...Again, do I place the sealant over the inside or outside of the planter? I assume the outside if the planter is already full - LOL! - but is it more effective on the inside if the planter's empty?"

To me that sounds as if it's planted up image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh