Pond Newst

I have just changed the water in my pond and added some new plants yesterday

I noticed a newt today at the surface

? Do they need to be able to exit the pond during the day or night

The liner is black plastic and is steep where I have fixed it in place so I am not sure how they would get out

I have made a ramp of bricks in case I get a toad as they cant "hop it " like frogs

It says that they feed on worms and others which obviously arent in a pond

Help please friends

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 1,656

Don't worry too much newt is obviously happy, do you have edging plants to scramble up? A few flat stones nearby for newt to over winter will be useful nearer the time. In the meantime just enjoy you are obviously doing something right! 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,126

Yes, newts, frogs and toads all need a gentle slope to be able to get in and out of the water.   All three spend much more of their time on land than in water. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 4,491

My wildlife pond has settled and I can see I've got a male newt and 5 females! they're frequently laying eggs and I see them grabbing things to eat in the pond often. I've got places where they can get in and out and they seem quite happy. I've been watching them for a couple of weeks now and find the wildlife pond much more interesting than my fish pond

minute :)

Last edited: 16 June 2017 11:32:50

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

It's not a good thing to replace water in a wildlife pond ........ lots of the small creatures that your newts frogs etc feed on will no longer be there.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=622 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,108

Dove thanks as usual

The water was green and lifeless so it was a necessity

I transferred 3 newts and a frog and lots of creepies into a holding bucket and retained about 3 inches of black slime at the bottom and then gently put the residents back

I will add a sloping plank for them to get out today

The pond is made of old railway sleepers so on one side there is a 4 foot drop and on the other a route onto an old concrete garage base from where they can escape to the surrounding bushes

If the water turns green try using Blagdon Barley Straw Extract and Blagdon Sludge Control regularly.

Both are perfectly natural and perfectly suitable for a wildlife pond.  It is not always possible for a manmade pond to achieve a balance without a bit of help because of the difficulties of scale

We've also found that the introduction of pond snails to our wildlife pond has really improved the quality of the water.  

Last edited: 16 June 2017 11:46:45

It had blanket weed to a depth of 2 inches as I was suffering with a chest infection and clearing ponds was low on the list of jobs

? For how long have you been using the Blagdons

I have some black snails but I will get some more

Doves Newt Escape Ramp has been built

Awww bless you ........ hope you're feeling better now.  I'm laid up with a broken foot so I know how frustrating it is, especially at this time of year.

We've used Blagdon's since we made the pond in 2014 .... in the first year we used it monthly in the warmer months.  The following year I think we used it about the same.  Since then we've only used it a couple of times each summer.  This year we've used it once so far ... the water is lovely and clear and like Pete, we've been watching the newts'  mating behaviour.   

We got lot of blanket weed in the warm weather early this year before the pond snails had really got themselves working flat out so we removed some of it by hand, then left it up to the pond snails munch the blanket weed and duck weed and they're doing very well.  We've also got a lot of  water cress, Native Hornwort and Water Soldier in the pond ... we have to thin that out a couple of times a year because it grows so quickly.  We always go through it very carefully rescuing pond snail eggs etc and putting them back in the pond.  

I hereby declare the Newt Escape Ramp open!!!

Its Great to be Barking Mad

I need some more plants and snails so thats a job for next week

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,648

How big is your concrete area NewBoy? You could add some large pots or containers with good cover in them to give some shelter from any predators that might be around too. Anything big and leafy would be great - ferns, grasses, hostas etc, or any perennials and small shrubs. If you group those together, and add a few decent sized rocks and logs in piles in and around those, there will be lots of  safe little places for wildlife to hide.image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again