Forum home Problem solving

Removing bushes/privetts

Hello there

I am new to this forum and a novice gardener just tbh...i want to put a 6ft fence between mine & nxt doors garden for privacy along with something from which to landscape from and have a concrete shed base put in the top corner...i am unsure of the best way to take these up along with the roots etc I don't mind the hard work but need it doing properly...can you experts advice me on this or should I just try get someone more qualified to do this

Cheersimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,376

I don't know if you have vehicle access but tying a rope round one, tying it to the back of the car, then driving away slowly while a second person hacks at the roots, is very satisfactory

• nutcutlet says:

I don't know if you have vehicle access but tying a rope round one, tying it to the back of the car, then driving away slowly while a second person hacks at the roots, is very satisfactory

See original post

LOL.... very true imageimageimage

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,037

A sharp spade, a pair of loppers and loads of welly. A proper pair of gloves and some sturdy shoes and dig. Lop the plants down to about two feet. They won't look so imposing then.  Start at one end or pick the smallest one and start digging. Use the loppers to cut thicker roots. Remove each one complately before starting the next. Once they are all removed you can dig the area over and get rid of stray roots. job done. 

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

just make sure you give them a good check for nesting birds before you start hacking