Recycle a milk carton

Great idea from Liz Jacob's on Pinterest

reusing a milk carton for your potting shed

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/482448178820714523/

• josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,137

I re-use them for watering.  When I plant something permanent, such as a fruit bush, I cut the bottom off a milk bottle and bury it upside down beside the plant.  I push the cut off bit over the open end so it doesn't fill up with dirt.  Thus I can pour water down to the roots and not lose any by evaporation.

• old  milk  cartons

• What do you cut them with?
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
    Cos how can you be grumpy
    When the sun shines out your bum!
  • josusa47josusa47 Posts: 2,137
    Stanley knife, craft knife or scissors.  Anything that cuts.
  • Hmm.... my scissors are for specific jobs.   Meat scissors, hair scissors, embroidery scissors and dressmaking scissors.   I'll have to get some cheap crappy ones for that.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
  • Forgot one!  Garden scissors.
    I wish I was a glow worm
    A glow worm's never glum
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 2,919
    Being a buzz kill again but milk bottles are made of HDPE which is now fully recycleable back into its original material. So milk bottle are made of old milk bottles essentially. HDPE performs badly in UV light and soil contamination reduces its recycleability so using them in the garden can actually reduce the recycling rate. :#

Plant pots make better plant pots.
  • B3B3 Posts: 9,533
    It takes energy, and I assume water to clean, to recycle milk cartons into milk cartons. 
    If you use a milk carton in the garden, you are recycling  it at no energy cost.
    In London. Keen but lazy.