Forum home Problem solving

Privacy ideas

imageimage

I'm looking for some help! I moved into a new build 2 years ago and as you will see from the photos, I don't have a lot of pri which really bothers me when enjoying the garden. I have planted photinia pink marble with the thought that they will grow and provide screening above the fence where it takes a dip. I'm not convinced though that I'll get the privacy I desire from these and was thinking of replacing them with leylani. I'd like to move my flower bed and put screening all the way round but don't really have anywhere else to place it. Any ideas or inspiration would be very welcome! 

• Lfin100Lfin100 Posts: 24

Hello, 

Im afraid that I cant view your photographs. 

I also moved to a new build nearly two years ago and feel the same about creating privacy. Last summer we planted a row of very small, young Photinia 'red robin' along one fence (bordering the neighbours that I most wanted to screen from!), and by the start of this year I had convinced myself that I was going to take them out and replace with bamboo trees as I thought that they would create a more immediate and full coverage. However, I was advised against this my a local nursery-man who came out to the garden, and I am glad that he did. The plants have grown considerably just in the last few months of sunshine and rain and I can only imagine how big they will grow in the coming couple of years, as well as being very attractive plants with lots of new red growth. My intention (and again, I have been given advice from somebody that knows more than I do) is to wait until they have grown a little larger and then to grow honeysuckle and jasmine up in between them, using the bushes as their support. This should again increase the amount of coverage and will make fr a more attractive/sweet smelling border. I had considered putting up those brush/bamboo temporary screens that can be attached to fences in the meantime whilst waiting for everything to grow, but we have been lucky so far and our neighbours on that side rarely seem to use the garden in the same way that we do (they have teenagers - we have a two year old!) .

Since moving in I have discovered that I really love gardening, so am trying to balance this with creating a screen/privacy and making it a family garden. In our bottom border I am growing a number of different climbing plants, including hydrangea, roses, clematis, honeysuckle and black eyed susan. The intention is that these will all grow up to cover the fence whilst still allowing me to indulge in creating something of a 'cottage' garden in the border in front of it. 

My idea for the last border is to try (and I certainly need to read up on this or ask my nice local nursery-man) is to try to grow wisteria against the fence, and again I will supplement this with hydrangea and roses. I dont need quite the same level of coverage for this fence though so it doesnt matter if there are gaps. 

Im happy to send photographs through the private message area if that helps. 

Good luck!

• Sounds like you are in a similar position to myself. The photinia pink marble are from the same group as red robins, I'm just not getting the speed of growth that I want. It's a shame the photos didn't work....I'll try again imageimageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,406

To upload photos click on the camera icon and follow the instructions.

If they don't upload then try reducing the size. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Im doing this from an iPhone and followed the instructions, not sure why they are not uploading. 

• Lfin100Lfin100 Posts: 24

No, I cant see them, but perhaps it is a problem from my end?

When did you plant the photinia? I planted mine last year and they didn't do much, and then this year they have shot up already. Perhaps yours just need a little time to bed in?

I have pruned mine (only once) in the horizontal direction to allow the new growth to go up rather than out. I haven't used a fertiliser myself but perhaps this would help? 

One of the things that I am learning about gardening when putting my ideas into action is that it generally will take some time to get the effect that I really want...

• I don't have a lot of patience haha! They are about 9 months old, feed them regularly. I haven't pruned them because they are fairly young.  

Last edited: 15 June 2017 11:00:21

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,406

There's a problem on the site this morning re uploading photos ... the Tech Team are looking at  it and Nora will let us know when they've fixed it. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,832

There seems to be a problem with replying if you use a quote too!

What I said, but didn't show, was that you're going to have to develop patience whatever you plant.  It takes time for a plant to establish itself before it starts to put on growth.  It can be a year or two before major growth spurts are seen.

• Photos are now up if that makes it easier to illustrate what I'm talking about