Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Ants

• dodd121dodd121 Posts: 1

Put some sand in bowl...and pour red rum, about a double measure, in the middle. The ants enter, consume the rum, get violent and start throwing rocks at each other.

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

Sybille suggested bicarbonate of soda. My daughter heard that if you mix it with icing sugar the ants take that back to the nest and it kills them. I tried it in the conservatory and it seems to have worked, just the occasional ant now.

• Pottie PamPottie Pam Posts: 887

Like dodd's idea but ants with hangovers image

• Roo2Roo2 Posts: 1

We have a concrete planter on our balcony and up until earlier this month I had never seen a single ant and now we seem to be infested with them.   I'm going to try the onion and polenta treatments and see how we get on.  I'm wondering if the ants are responsible for the death of two lavender plants.  Can ants kill plants?

• jules8ajules8a Posts: 2
    How can I get rid of ant that have invaded my compost bin please?
  • jules8ajules8a Posts: 2
    How do I get rid of ants that have invaded my compost bin please.
  • sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Ants in a compost bin is usually a sign it is too dry-give it a good drenching and they will go elsewhere

• Rose AnnRose Ann Posts: 17

I have many colonies of red + flying Ants in my lawn...It is driving me mad!
    How do I get rid of them please?....I have sandy soil & my small lawn is treated regularly by a well known Lawn treatment company!
    I have tried Nipon, but to date, no joy!

• Janet 4Janet 4 Posts: 63

My grand daughter loved the red rum joke. She read it to her grand dad.

• mdw84mdw84 Posts: 105

I also love the red rum joke.  I personally do not see the massive issue with Ants.  I too have had a lot of them outside, red and black.  I just give pots a good soaking a few times at first and then a few more over for a couple of days that gets rid of them.  Red ants aren't an issue, the best thing to do is not disturb the nest and they wont disturb you.

After researching Ants in the lawn and borders, it is very difficult to get rid of them