Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Ants

• gran2gran2 Posts: 1
    we are suffering from wickedly vicious biting red ants in the garden, my granchilren are unable to play outdoors without being attacked and my husband seems to be getting stronger and stronger reactions. urgent help ...............please
  • Vic245Vic245 Posts: 1

Just found yellow ants in my grape vine, tried the onion thing - hopefully this will do the job

• wrighttwrightt Posts: 226

Ants like dry ground, hence you find them under paving slabs and find them in clay if it is dry. Solution is to keep it wet.

• Mary6Mary6 Posts: 17

Sybille, how did you apply the baking powder?  Dry?  

• do you use neat vinegar to get rid of ants in greenhouse and will it damage the soil or growing grops

• clairybelle i like the vinegar idea do you dilute it and will i damage the plants growing near

• KoalagirlKoalagirl Posts: 225

I am definitely going to try the sliced onion idea.  I am plagued with ants in the garden every summer, although luckily none come in the house.  I hate them almost as much as I hate slugs.  The black ones are a nuisance and the red ones are worse. 

I remember once seeing a blackbird sitting on my garden path picking up ants with its beak and dropping them on its wings.  He spread his wings out on the path as if he was encouraging the ants to bite them.  I wondered if there was something in formic acid which kills mites in their feathers?

• denjeanesdenjeanes Posts: 1
    I have recently moved to this bungalow, but the lawn is very lumpy and difficult to mow. How can I defeat the ants?

Dennis, Leighton Buzzard
  • C15.52C15.52 Posts: 8

does salt work

• PaulG72PaulG72 Posts: 2

Not sure about ants liking dry conditions...my lawn is covered in colonies of red ants & we've had near constant rain for about 4 weeks (and yes, we do still have a drought??)

Will definately try the vinegar as my daughter loves to play on the lawn & we have 2 minature long haired Dachshunds...consquently, their bellies are very near the ground!!!

Paul, Wisbech, Cambs