Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Ants

• I am an Organic Gardener, treating plants with Herbs & Spices

To get rid of Ants, just peel an onion, cut in thin slices, place each
    slice 2/3 inches deep in the soil. One or two in the pot is enough.

In flower beds do the same two feet away, one foot away from the plant.

Note do not use in excess, it will damage the plant
  • I have had some success with cornflour for removing ants. It's supposed to work in a similar way to the ground polenta. I will try the vinegar as well, though, I'm a big fan of various vinegars for lots of different jobs!
  • Black ants were all over my green peppers. I took old coffee grounds and crushed egg shells and spread them around my plants and the ants disappeared.
  • I have had trouble with ants for years inside until last year somebody recommended using Silvermints.You just brek them up and leave them in the area affected by them.It has worked very well and i only get the odd one now.
  • I have ants in my composter, there must be millions!! I don't want to use chemical treatment because I think it wouldn't be very good for my compost.
    I will try the trick with the polenta. I have tried baking powder for the pavement gaps - but I'm not sure whether the powder would be good for the compost.
    Has anyone an idea what to use to get rid of these little intruders?
    Oh - and what are Sivermints????
  • I like the vinegar idea. Thanks, claireybelle.
    The ant colonies in my large outdoor containers are driving me nuts, so I'll try watering with a strong solution & see what happens.
  • I have read that using Tea Tree Oil works, certainly got rid of the ones outside the house, just sprinkle a few drops around and they vanish.
  • I forgot to write - it worked with the baking powder and it also seems to work with bicarb soda!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • I have loads of red ants in my sadly neglected Dalek compost bin. It's all dried out and I clearly need to start all over again and do it properly this time. However, what do I do with the current contents? Can I spread it on the garden like a mulch? Its all very dry (hence the ants) in fact its mostly spent potting compost. Will the ants do any harm if I spread it on top of the very clay soil?
  • Hello karenlincoln,

In order to make good compost you need moisture in the bin. Have a look at Chris Beardshaw's video where he talks about layering wet materials with dry materials. It sounds as though your compost hasn't decomposed enough yet to be used as a mulch. Putting unrotted material on beds can actually harm plants. If you have a lawn, the best thing to do would be to layer wet grass clippings with the dry, half-rotted compost. Then it will all rot down well together. You may need to buy/make a second compost bin so that you can do this more easily. If you're not going to be collecting grass clippings, keep watering your compost. It will eventually rot down. Give it a really good soak as it can be hard to make water penetrate a really dry bin. If you can, move it to a shady area, so it doesn't dry out in the sun. When the bin is cooler and moister, it won't attract the ants.

Good luck!

Emma

gardenersworld.com team