Shrub roses

Daniel RutherfordDaniel Rutherford Posts: 48
hi, I was looking into getting some shrub roses throughout the next year or so and was wondering what varieties people have had success with or are ur favourites.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,188
    Rosa 'Buff Beauty' is a complete star of a rose ... absolutely love it ... I've grown it in several gardens and never been disappointed ... it was even happy in a northfacing inner city yard. 

https://www.davidaustinroses.co.uk/buff-beauty 
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • Daniel RutherfordDaniel Rutherford Posts: 48
    Oh yeah that looks very good and I like the fact in can be in some shade so that’s great. Thanks Dove.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,188
    It does get quite large ... so give it plenty of room ... it  won't be so happy if you have to keep hacking it back. 
    If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • K67K67 Leicestershire Posts: 105
    Had a David Austin Desdemona in last house, smelt wonderful.
    It does get quite large ... so give it plenty of room ... it  won't be so happy if you have to keep hacking it back. 
    Right, I’ll make sure that it gets a good amount of room.
    K67 said:
    Had a David Austin Desdemona in last house, smelt wonderful.
    The colour of that ros looks really nice and would look good amongst other plants.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 532
    I can show you some photos if you like, but I would need to know what colours you prefer, what size of roses you need, and which part of the country you're in really... some parts are considerably wetter than others... and whether you are likely to get your roses from the higher end of the market [Austin/Beales], or the lowest [Aldi etc]..   I'm in East Anglia...
    Marlorena said:
    I can show you some photos if you like, but I would need to know what colours you prefer, what size of roses you need, and which part of the country you're in really... some parts are considerably wetter than others... and whether you are likely to get your roses from the higher end of the market [Austin/Beales], or the lowest [Aldi etc]..   I'm in East Anglia...
    Colour wise I don’t really have a preference,in terms of size I’d say mainly small to medium although possibly the odd bigger one.

Also I live in the northeast of England right next to the border with Scotland.

And I think the higher end of the market as I want good money’s worth in terms of quality.
  • MarlorenaMarlorena Posts: 532
    Ok Daniel, I only asked in case you were in wet parts of Wales or Lake District, or western Scotland.  Where you are won't be too different from me.  Here are a few of my favourites.  These are all shrub roses, none of them need to be sprayed, they all either repeat flower or are continuous flowering shrub roses.  There are hundreds to choose from.  I have about 70 in my garden..

'Octavia Hill'...  about 2.5 x 2.5 feet.  Blooms June/July and Aug/Sept. low scent..

'Scarborough Fair'..[Austin].. continuous blooming rose about 4 x 4 feet.. not much scent.

'Absolutely Fabulous' and it really is fabulous... will be 5 x 5 feet after 3 seasons. I've just had to prune mine.  Continuous flowering, smells of licorice or aniseed..

'Scepter'd Isle' [Austin]… one of the most scented roses you can buy and should be in
    every garden, It is a wonderful rose, trouble free, with upright blooms.  Always flowering.

..another photo of this wonderful rose..  about 5 x 4 foot after 3 years or so..can be trained on support as here..

'Felicia'  a hybrid musk shrub rose, from the same family as 'Buff Beauty' which you were recommended earlier.  Continuous flowering, sweetly scented, trouble free,
    about 5 x 6 foot after 3 seasons..

hope you find something you like.  These are just a sample of what you can get and how they grow...  best of luck, happy choosing...
    Thankyou Marlorena, they are seem like brilliant roses and are all definitely in my consideration although scepter’d isle will deffo be chosen for my garden after the praise u have given it.